Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I took my 11 XP 850 out in the snow yesterday and experienced some weird riding.
I have been out on her in the snow quite often. Yesterday on hard pack, plowed roads the machine was all over the place. Anything over 20mph it would sway back and forth uncontrollably, kicking the rearend out all over the place and generally very unstable. I have the proper air pressure in the tires, I have never had that problem before. My buddies 2007 800 Sportsmans was as stable as could be.
What are some thing i should check first?

Thanks,
Mike Washington

·
Registered
76 Posts
A buddy's scrambler was doing something similar. In 2 wheel drive one of the front hubs was stuck engaged, so it was 3 wheel drive constant. Then the other was intermittent in 4 wheel drive. Turned out the front hubs were dry of oil.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would have expected something with the four wheel drive as well. I'd check the oil like stated above.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Proper air pressure in the tires my be the problem. At 7lbs just like on hard pavement only about 2-3 inches of the center of the tire are in contact with the road. That same 2-3 inches can create stability and control problems at speed on snow and ice. Try lowering the tire pressure to 4-5lbs in the winter.
Also, it is just as important that all of the tires have the exact same air pressure. At pressures 7lbs or less having one tire 1 or even 1/2 lbs lower can cause instability.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the axles... if one of the rears is broken it would cuase thats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions.
The tires where at the exact same pressure. I have a low pressure digital gauge.
I checked the axles and i dont thing they are broken. No click from them and when jacked up both tires spin together.
I have not had time to check the fluid in the diffs, its been 9 degrees here the last couple of days!!!
Any other ideas??

Thanks
Mike Washington

1 - 7 of 7 Posts