Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've spent hours searching and can't find an answer. Every post I find with the same symptoms has no resolution posted. I hate that! I'm afraid I already know what it is, but don't want to tear the front diff apart if I don't have to.

I've got an 850 in the shop here that has an ADC issue. 900 miles, 40 hours on it. When driving in 2x4 H gear the ADC kicks in at 18-20mph, in low it locks in at about 8-10mph and the front end dives down so hard it almost throws you over the bars. in 4x4 it runs perfectly up to top speed without issue and the ADC works as it should when turned to 4x4 ADC. Fluid was REALLY dirty when it got here. Have filled, run and drained it about 15 times and is now starting to clear up. But the problem has stayed the same. I even went as far as to flush the front diff with a fill of diesel to get as much crud out as possible.

Anyone have a solution to this? I'm afraid it might be the cage but don't want to tear into it if I don't have to. HELLLLLLLLLLP!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well you could always disconnect the wire harness for the front diff.. that will tell you if it's mechanical or a electrical issue.

It's just a thang

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did disconnect the 4 wire plug going to the ADC unit. Still did it. And tested all the electrical switch connections and they are good too. All in spec. I've already started tearing it apart. Down to the steering then it will pop out. What a giant PITA!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm curious what you find. I have a feeling ill be doing the same in the future.

It's just a thang

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, got it all torn down. Here's what I found, along with some small pieces of plastic stuck in most of the clutch pack spaces. Now I have to figure out what it is and go through everything very closely to figure out what all needs to be replaced. So far, other than what I think is the "Button, Thrust DU" in the parts fische, going to do all the seals while I'm in there for sure too. One was a little questionable and better safe than sorry for the 4 hours it took to get it out and apart. And the 3-4 more it's going to take to get it back together. Surprising enough the plastic roll cage is undamaged, but the upgraded version will be going in as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
That looks like the end of the splined clutch pack. I've never seen that part break before but it explains why it was engaging. Very nice work :thumbup:
It's just a thang

1 - 7 of 7 Posts