Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used 2011 Phoenix for my kids. Knew when I bought that the rear breaks need adjusted... no big deal.

Got it home and tore it apart and found the drum full of water/muck. Found the brake housing cover seal was bad... still no big deal, easy replacement.

My issue is that after new set of OEM shoes and cable adjustment the rear wheels will not lock up on this thing.

I was looking around for a disc conversion and found in 2005 that Polaris also made a Phoenix Quadricycle and that it had rear disc brakes. Why Polaris would switch back to drum is beside me.

Anybody else have brake issues with the Phoenix and any ideas on how to make it better would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Alan

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
32 Posts
OUR 2011 PHOENIX REAR BRAKES SUCK ! I know they are what they are but I replace the shoes on it every year...and its not a super easy job...nasty muck in the drum and drum cover.. and worst of all, when i installed the new shoes I could not get the drum on over them !! Oh i was pi$$ed...I began filing away some of the aluminum structure of the brake shoes where it hits the cam that engages the shoes to get them to allow the drum to slide over...well I filed so much I filed away the steel wear plate on them and was now down into the aluminum part of the shoe...I could never get them to allow drum on without this filing. I actually kept the old shoes because there was still so much pad left on them but would not engage the drum to stop the vehicle.
The pads are only 12 bucks a set on Ebay so they are cheap...and I oversee my boys (10 & 12 yrs old) when THEY replace them...but i had to take over when the drums would not fit back over the new shoes.

Not sure why they switched to manual drum brakes but it was a bad idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts