Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 polaris sportsman 500 HO. Went out to start ot one day and just a single click from the solenoid. So I ordered a new one. Once it came in put the new one on, turned the key and have no power to anything. The battery is fully charged. There is power going to the starter but nothing else. Have checked and replaced all the fuses in the front. I am lost as what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
The switched wires on the selonoid not the power wires from the battery or to the starter, have fusible links in them. I'm betting one blew.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having the same issue “ no power to anything” check fuses all good , have power to ignition switch, I can bypass solenoid and the machine turns over, checked all wires all good, am confused,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we first replaced the solenoid we cross wired it. Could that have blown the fusible link? And would that cause no power to anything?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
When we first replaced the solenoid we cross wired it. Could that have blown the fusible link? And would that cause no power to anything?
Cross wired it? Even so, that does not normally burn out the fusible link. Not only that, there are two fusible links.

Start over - check the battery voltage - check battery voltage to various grounds (frame, engine, transmission etc) - if battery voltage to the various grounds is good, check battery voltage from the battery side of the solenoid to various grounds - if good so far, go to the fuse box and check voltage on both sides of the fuse with the fuse in place - two fuses should have power with the key switch off - also, the red wire at the rec/reg should have power and the circuit breaker should have power on both sides of it.

Get this far and I'll tell tor where or what to check next.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
I’m having the same issue “ no power to anything” check fuses all good , have power to ignition switch, I can bypass solenoid and the machine turns over, checked all wires all good, am confused,
You are not having the same problem and should have started your own thread. You have power on which wire at the key switch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cross wired it? Even so, that does not normally burn out the fusible link. Not only that, there are two fusible links.

Start over - check the battery voltage - check battery voltage to various grounds (frame, engine, transmission etc) - if battery voltage to the various grounds is good, check battery voltage from the battery side of the solenoid to various grounds - if good so far, go to the fuse box and check voltage on both sides of the fuse with the fuse in place - two fuses should have power with the key switch off - also, the red wire at the rec/reg should have power and the circuit breaker should have power on both sides of it.

Get this far and I'll tell tor where or what to check next.

We checked with a test light and it shows power going to the starter. But when checked the fuses with the test light it shows nothing.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Do you have the fusible link wires on the same terminal as the battery positive lead? If yes, then the fusible links may need replaced - it's the only thing between the battery and the fuses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the fusible link wires on the same terminal as the battery positive lead? If yes, then the fusible links may need replaced - it's the only thing between the battery and the fuses.

I've been looking for the fusible link and I havent found it. The only wires hooked to the solenoid are 2 positive and 1 negative. One positive and negative to the battery and the other positive to the starter.
Also when we put the new solenoid on and turned the key there was a pop back around the battery area.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Red/white
rd/wt is the chassis power wire - it goes to the lights and other things

The key switch connects the rd/wt to the wt/rd to send power to the solenoid - unplug the wt/rd wire at the solenoid and turn the key to the start position - do you have 12v on the wt/rd wire - if not, unplug the key switch and jump rd/wt to wt/rd - if the solenoid closes and the starter motor runs, replace the key switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Red/white
rd/wt is the chassis power wire - it goes to the lights and other things

The key switch connects the rd/wt to the wt/rd to send power to the solenoid - unplug the wt/rd wire at the solenoid and turn the key to the start position - do you have 12v on the wt/rd wire - if not, unplug the key switch and jump rd/wt to wt/rd - if the solenoid closes and the starter motor runs, replace the key switch.
I do have 12v on wt/rd when I turn key

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
So you have power on the red/wht wire and the wht/red wire when the switch is turned to the start position, but the solenoid does not close and the starter motor does not spin when the key is turned to the start position?

Sounds like either a bad battery, a bad connection to the battery on either or both the neg and pos side including the neg to frame point or you have a bad connection where the red/wht wire junctions with the other red/wht wires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts