Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the radiator fan to come on. Dealer says it takes 30 minutes of idle time which I think is bogus. I looked at the radiator and both inlet and discharge hoses get warm and radiator gets hot. I cannot find the temp sensor anywhere on the radiator. I was going to try to unplug it and see if fan comes on. The temp light doesn't come on either.

Does anyone know where the temp sensor is on 2011?

I found a circuit breaker located up top and taped to the front frame, under the front cover. I hear a lot of people saying it Is down below.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The ECT Sensor is mounted on the cylinder head.

I wouldn't recommend idling for 30 minutes.

Warm hoses don't necessarily mean the fan should come on. They will be very hot before the fan comes on.

Fan On @ 205 degres, Fan off @ 196 degrees

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can simply test the sensor as follows:

To measure the sensor using an ohmmeter, place the
tester leads on each terminal an read the resistance with
the sensor at an ambient temperature of 68°F (20°C).

At 68 °F (20 °C) the reading should be ~ 35.5k  ± 3%

Don't expect the temp. light to come on unless the temperature is 241 degrees or higher. It will blink at 230 degrees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i unplugged the sensor and fan did not come on.

Checked resistance and read 9.8 but not sure if correct setting but on k.

i guess my next step would be to put 12 volts to fan and see if it comes on.

how do you test relays in fuse box? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put 12 v dc to fan and it worked....on my 550 xp browming le disconnecting thermal sensor does not automatically turn on fan.

took a temp laser gun to radiator..motor etc surprised how long it takes to get to 209...around 209 degrees the fan came on.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Put 12 v dc to fan and it worked....on my 550 xp browming le disconnecting thermal sensor does not automatically turn on fan.

took a temp laser gun to radiator..motor etc surprised how long it takes to get to 209...around 209 degrees the fan came on.

thanks for the help.
Pretty much what I expected to hear. The 550's don't run too hot, at least my 2012 browning doesn't.

Happy to hear you got it sorted out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts