Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter i went out to ride and I tried to start my 4wheeler and it did not show any signs of having any type of energy through out it. It did not make any noises or anything so i figured the battery was dead so i tried to jump it, it started right up when I jumped it but when I took either one of the cables off it shut off immediately. I tried to let it run with the cables on for 10-15min and then take them off but same issue.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on what was going on.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
862 Posts
Either the battry has completely failed to where there is no continuity or the stator has failed and the battery is went flat. You can try charging the battery to see if you can get it to take any kind of charge. If you can get it to run on its own battery check the voltage while running, should be 13-14v, if its below that the charging system isnt working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried charging it before and didn't work, and i didn't think that it ran off of the battery.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Normally it doesnt, the stator will supply enought power to run it but if the battery is no long completing a electrical connection it will be just like the wires are off it. When you jumped it the other battery completes the circuit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would check your battery voltage first. If you are in the 14 volt range i was suspect that your stator is bad. Its relatively easy to check with a multimeter.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Look at the battery and see if the water is between the miun and max lines, if it sat while cold the battery may have froze and cracked. If the battery is empty carefully remove it and replace it and you should be good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts