Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one tell me why my 2011 sportsman 500 drowns out so easy as soon as the pipe goes under water and how can I fix this still new to Polaris never had that problem with my old foreman.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Can some one tell me why my 2011 sportsman 500 drowns out so easy as soon as the pipe goes under water and how can I fix this still new to Polaris never had that problem with my old foreman.

It MIGHT be a long shot, but I think you are getting water where you shouldn't be! JK

Which pipe are you talking about? Exhaust?, clutch housing? Intake?

·
Super Moderator
7,096 Posts
Trade the atv for a boat maybe????? :saevilw:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
All electrical connections hit with dialectic grease? clutch vents snorkled? intake snorkled? stock or modified exhaust?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Next time you get the urge take a life preserver.Buy a kayak or a canoe.Their is a reason the machine has tires on it.Stupid...

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
ok. so I'm all for pointing out the obvious, but come on, he's not complaining about polaris making a crappy machine because he can't burry it in mud and not break stuff. he' just trying to figure out why it's dieing in the mud, and trying to fix it. People use these machines in the deep all the time without it dieing so why is his? I'm not one to take my quad swimming, but it's not hard to help him out opposed to attacking him for what he chooses to do with his machine.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
^^^^agreed ^^^
Its his ride to do what he likes.

Its possible the carb vacuum line may be going under and killing it.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes I do apologize for my past post.Yes I am a bit harsh at times.However, he has a 2011 500 and he wants to take it swimming?Come on, smell the coffee.This machine was made to be driven on dry land, not up to the handle bars in muddy water.I would check around the spark plug as water may be shorting it out.Hope this helps in some way, Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not going in water up to the handle bars was just woundering why it trys to die when the exhaust pipe goes in the water while climbing out of hole

·
Registered
572 Posts
^^^^agreed ^^^
Its his ride to do what he likes.

Its possible the carb vacuum line may be going under and killing it.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Your in the right path the steam ends up going in the vent tube and kills the bikes. Seen it a ton.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes I do apologize for my past post.Yes I am a bit harsh at times.However, he has a 2011 500 and he wants to take it swimming?Come on, smell the coffee.This machine was made to be driven on dry land, not up to the handle bars in muddy water.I would check around the spark plug as water may be shorting it out.Hope this helps in some way, Ken
Guess my buddies 2012 500 on 29.5 laws that pretty much goes through anything you can throw at it should stay on dry land.

You must be a Honda owner.

*cheers*

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
if it's only dieing on the way out of the hole it could be an issue with to much backpreasure. may be time for an upgraded exhaust. your stock one may be full of junk.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I see that causing issues with submerging the intake, and the approach angle for thos steep exit points.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hold on now!!!! Don't be throwing Honda Owners under the bus. I take mine thru everything in my way!

Sent from the dam phone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you are idling, or have low RPMs while the exhaust is submerged, then the atv will die due to too much backpressure on the exhaust. That or your spark plug is getting wet, which is about the same height as the exhaust, and people tend to blame it on the exhaust. Make sure you dielectric grease all your electrical connections, most importantly the spark plug boot.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Next time you get the urge take a life preserver.Buy a kayak or a canoe.Their is a reason the machine has tires on it.Stupid...
If you don't like using your atv to its full potential then don't. No need to make comments like this. All my atv's go up to 6 feet deep from the day they are new with no issues. Set it up properly and do basic maintenance and it will have a problem free life.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you don't like using your atv to its full potential then don't. No need to make comments like this. All my atv's go up to 6 feet deep from the day they are new with no issues. Set it up properly and do basic maintenance and it will have a problem free life.
6'? that seems a bit far fetched... your snorkles must be insane.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts