Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and was hoping to get some input. I'm fairy new to ATV'n and have only had my first machine for a couple of years.

I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Touring and have registered for a mud ride at the end of April in Ontario, Canada (That is, if it ever stops snowing)

I guess my stock tire size is.
Front Tire (Full Spec) 25 X 8-12; 489
Rear Tire (Full Spec) 25 X 11-12; 489

I've been looking at the STI HD3 Wheels and was wondering if I should go up to the 14" rims? I'm looking at adding the Grim Reaper Tires, size 26 x 9-14 front, and 26 x 11-14.

My concern is will the rims and wider front tire clear, and will the larger diameter tire affect my drivetrain? I realize the heavier tires will affect some of the performance, but I'm 275lbs and don't want to ruin my machine because its been running like a top since I bought it. Would I need a clutch kit as well?

Just looking for some input from those who have way more experience than myself.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
If you buy rims with a 4+3 offset, you will not have any clearance problems. Avoid the 14" rims like the plague. Stick with the 12's and you will be much happier, and tires will cost less, along with a much better selection to choose from.
Going to a 26" tire will not hurt your machine in any way, and I doubt you will even feel any performance loss at all. Maybe on the top end you might see a little loss in top speed, but it would be minimal.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I would go 12" wheels....better selection of tires ..but also the larger sidewall gives the tires flex especialy if you get into rock climbing...plus give a nice ride especialy on conering..when I was looking for wheels i looked at pro's and con's of 14" and seen lots wished they stayed at 12"...the 14" changed the ride alot...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts