Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Sportsman 550 quit moving. Engine runs fine. Took it to Polaris dealer and he tore it down to the gear case (removed belt and pulleys) and didn't find the problem, but wanted big bucks to tear it down further. I can turn the shaft coming out of the gear case, in gear or in neutral and it feels like it has minor resistance at some points. No resistance otherwise. In reading through some of the posts, I am thinking that I have a coupler problem. I have no service manual. If I want to tear into this myself, are there any things I need to be aware of that any of you can share with me? Can I unbolt the gearbox and fix it or do I need to be removing the engine as well?

BTW, the motor sounded like it was about to fall apart for a few hundred miles before this happened. The machine has a little over 15,000 miles on it so that is why I hesitate to pay the dealer more. What he was asking was more than it is worth.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Nut on the coupler was likly loose , causing noise i cant remeber if they are keyed to the crank or splined ,i have had 3 550xp come loose i used red loctite on the coupler or spike load dampener nut.just hope your splines aren't worn off the crank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I parked the Polaris and have never gotten back to it. Will try to make it a fall/winter project, but I am not much of a mechanic. Can someone tell me the best way to approach tearing into the 550 to get to the coupler? I haven't located a service manual and am too tight to buy one given the crank may be ruined. Is it better to yank the transmission, motor or will I need to remove both.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
You can remove the gearcase without removing the engine - I have a 2010 manual in PDF I can email you that should guide you through the process. Just PM me your email address

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your help Latebird. I got the transmission out and the nut had come off and the splines on the coupler were stripped. Thankfully the splines on the shaft appear to be OK. I have the coupler, nut and washer ordered and hope to be up and running soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts