Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed primary clutch spring from red to silver to help take off problem but still having problem rpm are at 1750 at idle in park but i have to get them up to 2000-2100 to get atv to move is this normal or is somthing else the problem ? Atv has 1000 miles on it .Clutch belt looks good but looks can be deceiving. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
257 Posts
That seems like a really high idle rpm but I don't know much about the 550s maybe they do idle that high. The reason you have to get the rpms up higher before take-off is because of the new primary spring you installed. Most of the kits raise the engagement speed to get the motor to a higher rpm to get a little deeper in the torque curve before putting a load on it. If your belt isn't slipping and you don't smell burning rubber and it looks fine I would say you are fine and it is just the design of your clutch kit or primary spring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is the normal RPM at idle for 2011.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Normal is about 1800 RPM cold and about 1700 RPM when warmed up.

To the OP...what was the RPM for engagement prior to the spring change? Mine lowered...made it better...but nowhere close to as smooth as my 2006.

Sean

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
They must have changed the idle RPM on the '12 or '13s. IIRC mine is around 1300-1400RPM.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normal is about 1800 RPM cold and about 1700 RPM when warmed up.

To the OP...what was the RPM for engagement prior to the spring change? Mine lowered...made it better...but nowhere close to as smooth as my 2006.

Sean
Didn't change 100 rpm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts