Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new 2011 Sportsman 800 yesterday. Wondering if the 800 dollar rebate was included -- any thoughts? Paid 6264 without options, taxes, or licenses.

Also I'm concerned with the shifter -- its a bit rough getting it out of P. When in L it seems to take a few before engaging. Not sure if this is normal or if I should be concerned.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OTD? Yes it is a good deal.

Give the shifter time, they loosen up. Wait until you get some time on it before deciding if it is an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6264 was with no taxes (I own a farm and farms are tax exempt in MN). MN licenses (Ag and trails) were extra. I found one dealer in the Twin Cities selling for 6200 but they closed earlier on Saturday and was 40 miles further away from me. Called a few others and haggled with a guy in town but did not find a better deal on a 800. The worst deal I saw was a dealer in town and I negotiated face to face then walked out -- their best price was 6750.

I do want to get some racks/boxes and a good hitch. Rumor is if you complete a safety class Polaris gives you $100 store credit from the dealer you purchased at? I'm also curious if the accessories are price fixed by Polaris or if I'll need to call a few deals on these too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have found the best accessory deals to be online, but they aren't super great.

Funny you mention that class. I took it and they told me I get the $100 certificate but never did.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the freight and setup fee just seems like a scam. The dealers want to hide it too -- they always seem to talk price then later mention there is a 250 or 300 fee on top of that. I asked one dealer to waive it and he said he would when Polaris waives the fee to him.

Just had my machine out again tonight. What a blast. I still haven't visited full throttle, just don't have the runway to do it.

Let me know if your shifter works a little rough on your new 800. Also, I've noticed once I am in L or R, the transmission doesn't seem to engage right away. Not sure if this is normal or maybe normal to the break-in period.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got mine a week ago for $6400 out the door, including the front and rear brush guards.

My shifter was a bit stiff at first, but after using a half dozen or so times it seems to move a bit easier. Rather than trying to just move it into gear, I just give it a bit of a bump with the palm of my hand.

Be ready for the heat on your right leg, the exhaust seems unusually hot on this model as opposed to my old 700 King Quad. I am considering some header wrap.

If you watch your tach, you'll notice that the belt doesnt engage until around 1400rpm, just tap the accellerator lightly and it will go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got mine a week ago for $6400 out the door, including the front and rear brush guards.

My shifter was a bit stiff at first, but after using a half dozen or so times it seems to move a bit easier. Rather than trying to just move it into gear, I just give it a bit of a bump with the palm of my hand.

Be ready for the heat on your right leg, the exhaust seems unusually hot on this model as opposed to my old 700 King Quad. I am considering some header wrap.

If you watch your tach, you'll notice that the belt doesn't engage until around 1400rpm, just tap the accelerator lightly and it will go.
Thanks for the heads up on the shifter -- glad its going to go away.

Yes, definitely noticed the heat. Kids did too. If you find a solution for that I would be interested.

Good to know the belt engagement is supposed to be around 1400 RPM. The machine is great I was just concerned there was a problem. My issue has been that I tap accelerator a little too hard and the machine jerks forward (or at least the first few times).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought a new 2011 Sportsman 800 a week ago from Frontier Ag & Turf in Osceola, WI. It was their last 2011 800 in stock. Price was $5932 plus tax and registration. No setup or delivery fees! Ended up getting it for $6288 out the door. :)

·
Premium Member
10,374 Posts
just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago. this past wk-end i finally put the 10hrs of break-in time on it. she definetly has some get up and go at full throttle. noticed the heat from the exhaust on my right leg also. the gear selector gets smoother with time. it took some getting used to the throttle/tranny engagement lag. there is also a chatter from the engine brake that took some getting used to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago. this past wk-end i finally put the 10hrs of break-in time on it. she definetly has some get up and go at full throttle. noticed the heat from the exhaust on my right leg also. the gear selector gets smoother with time. it took some getting used to the throttle/tranny engagement lag. there is also a chatter from the engine brake that took some getting used to.
Engine brake? The 2011 SP800 does not have EBS installed on it.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
(No EBS here either) I get the normal tranny chain noise when going down hill or letting off the throttle. (NORMAL for the "twins") But still bothersome.

My 700 is also a bit stiff. But if your deliberate with your shifts it does work just fine. Its easy to move between L N & R, this too is normal.

I had some buzzing that was bothersome. Investigation revealed the muffler would just touch the rear fender bracing. Others have found the muffler touching the rear sway bar. Look at yours and see what you find... bet its making contact too. There is not much room back there.

I removed the muffler, took a hi speed burr on a air grinder and reshaped the braces for clearance. Mine was NOT touching when NOT running. But only cleared by 1/16"-1/8" engine vibes caused an annoying buzzzzzz.. not any more!!!

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lingered around here for a few days to get some research, then went out and bought my 800 yesterday. Paid $6300 before tax here in PA also. I only got to ride it around the yard a couple times before i had to put it away and get ready for work :( I'll get some shakedown playtime hopefully today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought mine aug 15th. 6375 out the door price. I also wrapped my exhaust with header wrap. much better now that it dont burn my leg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts