Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 xp 550 that just started a noise that sounds like brake drums grinding at low speed when i let off (coming from front) has 1000 miles almost all hard pack trails, only does it when in 4x4 "engine brake mode", reg 4x4 and 2x4 does not do it ?? Can anyone suggest what this may be before i start digging into it. Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
679 Posts
You mean ADC (Active Decent Control)? Sounds like you need to replace the fluid. It's a common noise associated with old fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just brought this machine home this weekend from camp to do the services, I was just putting out some feelers so I did not get it all serviced and then have to tear it apart again, but thanks I will go ahead and try that first.. Chuck

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You mean ADC (Active Decent Control)? Sounds like you need to replace the fluid. It's a common noise associated with old fluid.
Yeah.. probably the front diff fluid. If noise doesn't go away I would probably change it again in front diff and also perform the fluid bleed out swap of the ADC fluid.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Make sure you use ADC fluid, it's picky. Everything else is up to you. You'll start a war asking about whats the best motor oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I own two of the 2011 XP 550's, I do all my own maintenance, and I am very particular on fluids etc. I have all the correct individual fluids for each area on the machines, everything gets changed each season. Chuck

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That noise is normal when in "4x4 adc" mode. That's the "active decent control" locking in the front end, not "engine braking mode" as you called it. Engine braking is built into the clutches and works all the time. Still a good idea to change the fluids at that mileage anyway. You should only be using the adc mode when descending steep inclines when you need the extra control at slow speeds, not during general trail riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts