Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2011 Sportsman XP 850s...one has a harsh clutch engagement issue and the other does not. The clutch issue just started last weekend and I've had both since 2011 and they were bought brand new at the same time... Could this be a bad belt or does it fall under the new spring fix mentioned in other forums? Also, I flipped the one with the clutch issue on it's side, white smoke came out of the exhaust for a while but does not anymore. I believe that was due to oil getting where it shouldn't...but just wanted to make sure I added that as well. Smoke was white...

Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I am pretty sure that the white smoke would likely have been antifreeze. You could have differences in belt wear between the two. I have a pair of Xp's and they are almost identical but they do have diffences beteen them.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Did it start right after the tip over?

Wouldn't hurt to pull the clutch cover on both off, and run them both in neutral to see if you spot any differences. That's an okay way to start.

White smoke is coolant burning. Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is excess fuel. You may have got some coolant in the cylinder from the tip over. Wouldn't worry about it if it stops pretty quickly.

If it continues you need to find we're the coolant is getting in at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting...is it difficult to replace the belt if that is the issue? Once the belt engages it rides perfectly fine...it just shakes pretty violently as it engages.

The smoke issue stopped...the only time it will smoke is if I really slam on the gas and a little smoke will come out, that's it...and it's less and less every time I use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and yes, it started up right after the tip over...no problem. The tipover was last February/March. It has been riding perfectly up until this last weekend.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's a little work, but if you don't see an issue with the belt you could try swapping with your other 850 and see if it follows the belt. How many miles and what type of riding do you do?

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
Interesting...is it difficult to replace the belt if that is the issue? Once the belt engages it rides perfectly fine...it just shakes pretty violently as it engages.The smoke issue stopped...the only time it will smoke is if I really slam on the gas and a little smoke will come out, that's it...and it's less and less every time I use it.
That is usually an indication of a belt issue. Not a hard job to replace, just a little expensive for a new belt. As Talon said, swap belts on the two machines and see if that fixes it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts