Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off I know this has been addressed many times but all the reading I do tends to confuse me because people have similar symptoms but something always throws me off. So have 15 hours on the quad haven't had much riding time yet. I have had a problem where the temp light comes on flashing then sputtering followed by stall, after not messing with it for the whole summer I wanted to start it and address this issue now. I started it this past weekend let it warm up then after 10-15 min of idle the light came on so I put into reverse to back up 10 feet into garage and stall again. I have done a lot of reading and have come to the conclusion that it could be thermostat stuck closed or water pump impeller. So I started again yesterday and let warm up to feel hoses and check for circulation. Both hoses remained ice cold and soft fan came on and stayed on for about 5-10 min and never shut off. Then temp light came on hoses still cold,overflow bottle didn't change level at all. Once light came on I shut it off to push back into garage only then was the hose off top of radiator really warm and lower ice cold. One person I spoke to told me it's water pump and another said thermostat stuck closed...so I need help from the pros, what do you guys think? Also would a bad water pump make any noise? If so I haven't heard anything from that area. Sorry for the long post but I want to have good reason to check water pump because it involves fuel tank removal and i only want to go there if I have good reason. Thank you everybody

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds like a stuck thermostat. A bad water pump can make noise if the bearing or busings are shot and the impeller is making contact with the housing. also a lot of pumps will weep from around the shaft when they are begining to fail.

has the coolent ever been drained for anything? could be a air lock but it would have had to been completly drained.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would say it is one of two things: stuck thermostat or air lock in cooling system. If the fan is coming on without heat in the radiator then there is no flow through the system. Have you removed the radiator cap and checked the level in the radiator?

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you find no problems with the cooling system/thermostat etc, it could be a bad coolant temp sensor, it's a 2 wire sensor near the thermostat

·
Registered
434 Posts
if its airlocked pop the rad cap off and keep filling and running untill it stays full....at the rad not resivoir

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never opened the radiator cap, could airlock happen even if I have never broken seal to cooling system? I really hope it is the thermostat looks easy to replace and easily accessible. Do these quads just have faulty thermostats or something? What would cause it to stick closed on such low hours? I'm glad it's likely not water pump as I have not heard any wining or noise at all. Never really considered the sensor either is there an easy way to test that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I want to clean my radiator just to be sure but it's freezing out and my garage is not temp controlled. I know you should flush from back to front, how do you accomplish this without removing the radiator all together? Also I'm worried about freezing water.

·
Registered
862 Posts
could use an air compressor to blow it out until its warmer our. if the cooling system has never been opened then you should not have any air locks unless you lost coolant. a bad head gasket can cause it too but you would notice other issues along with the over heating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna pull thermostat tomorrow and boil some water to check that..btw in case it matters I tipped over one time turning around even though all lines are intact and don't see any leaks could just tipping on its side cause airlock? Forgot to mention that earlier lol.. Another annoying thing is I want to burp the system but I can't get to a dealer to buy "polaris" antifreeze.. What can I use to top off system that would work with oem polaris that I can get at a local parts store?

·
Registered
434 Posts
any 60-40 antifreeze will work, it says 60-40 in service manual but 50-50 will work to its 60 parts glycol and 40 parts water...you could even get concentrate and mix it yourself to much water and it could freeze, to much glycal and it could gel up

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Spend a few bucks and use demineralized water if you mix yourself!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Regular green antifreeze, remove radiator cap, see if its full, if not , fill it, start engine, let it idle with cap off till fan comes on , re-fill, should be good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts