Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my low mileage 500km's 400 ho is practically impossible to start when the temp goes down to -10 celcius. This is a major pain in the butt. I always have a small battery tender on the ATV during the cold winter months. My efi ranger and efi sportsman 800 starts right up. I have had lots of carburated atv's in the past but none as stubborn as this one to start. Thanks

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Hi guys, my low mileage 500km's 400 ho is practically impossible to start when the temp goes down to -10 celcius. This is a major pain in the butt. I always have a small battery tender on the ATV during the cold winter months. My efi ranger and efi sportsman 800 starts right up. I have had lots of carburated atv's in the past but none as stubborn as this one to start. Thanks
I have not had that problem at all. Fires up every time.

Is the choke set up properly?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking but I am not familiar with choke setups. How do I know if it is setup right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I read the manual,, there is very little on enriched adjustment. The way I figure I got to start at the top where the choke button is? I got to back it off at that point if it is too tight? Where do I measure the slack in the cable? Do I need to take the instrument pod apart?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I used to start my 400 out in the garage when it was -40 out. And it would fire up no problem. And I never even had a tender on it once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to camp next Friday and will check it out. I know it won't be cold enough now to make a diffrence but the cold weather is a coming. Thanks guys, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the choke is setup right, now must wait for the cold weather....won't have to wait long, it's -1 Celsius this morning, but my bike is at camp. My local dealer told me to drain the carb bowl, I know how to do this but is doesn't make sense right?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I dont see what drainging the bowl would do.

Is th machine outside?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well the choke is setup right, now must wait for the cold weather....won't have to wait long, it's -1 Celsius this morning, but my bike is at camp. My local dealer told me to drain the carb bowl, I know how to do this but is doesn't make sense right?
Makes good since to me if you are leaving ethanol added fuel in your atv. My kids have a polaris 50 and yamaha 125. If I DONT use non ethanol gas, plus fuel stabilizer, after two weeks of no use they both are a pain in the but to start. It could be your problem if your not riding it on a weekly basis. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It makes sense as water gas will float on water so that when it tries to pull the gas out of the carb bowl its not getting enough gas and is getting some water which wont burn. Normally they will start if this is the case but wont have any power or higher revs. Draining the bowl gets rid of the water that is sitting on the bottom of the bowl.

Gas stabilizer goes along way to prevent this as it lets the water molecules bond to it and burn out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's finally cold enough to try and start...... -30 celcius this morning. Here is how I got it started and it worked great, I put it in park, cranked it over for 3 seconds without the choke. Then I put the choke half way and voila, it started right away. Weird?????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh..... And I've been running nothing but premium gas since august, 0 ethanol. Don't know if the makes a differences but I read lots of nasty stuff about small engines and blended gas.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Draining a carb can be worse than leaving it full.....If you use a a good stabilizer like stabil marine..it has corrision inhibitors in it....i dont know the other stabils do..I have a boat so I buy the marine stuff...when you drain a carb..it can condensate inside the bowl...causing that white powder you see in aluminum bowls...i ran my lawn mower dry once an put it away for season..big mistake....took the bowl off an seen it started oxidizing in there from condensation over the winter...now using the stabil or any fuel treatment i leave gas in it...starts right up spring time....

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
seafoam is all I will ever use in my engines

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Either use Marine Stabil, or Startron and you wont have an issue. Leave the carb full, do not drain it and you will be ok.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What the dealer meant was to drain the moisture out of the bottom of the bowl.Water their can freeze and you will have ice floating around, and yes this can starting issues, Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Need help with similar problem.

09 Carb 500, and I have to give it some gas with the choke wide open to get it fired up. Can hear the engine when it wants to go, and I keep the throttle gently pressed at that RPM and eventually it starts. Even with choke out, it won't idle. Same thing with the choke in any position. Once it's warm it idles fine without choke, but the initial firing it up, it really doesn't want to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts