Polaris ATV Forum banner

Have you ever seen this part fail like this?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 96.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I'm new to quads, and the forum. Traded my Jeep for an almost new 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO as it says in the title. It had 23hrs, 180 miles on it. It now has about 27hrs, and 210 miles. Got into the trail today to ride with some of my friends kids, and 30 seconds in.... SNAP. I fly off and roll 3 times and a nice tree stops the quad from landing on me.

Being new to riding, I figured I hit a rock or something. Nope! As the pictures show, the cast part of the strut assembly failed completely and broke right in two.

Being honest, I don't think I beat on the quad that hard in my few hours of riding time since I got it. Climbed a few big rocks, and got maybe a few inches off the ground once or twice. Used to do a lot of serious off road with my Jeep. The previous owner definitely didn't either. There were 0 scratches anywhere on the thing when I got it last weekend. One small crack on the rear plastic from bumping a tree.

Has anyone ever seen a failure like this? My buddies that have ridden quads all their lives have not. And they have been around for a few years.

I'm going to call Polaris about this tomorrow when their customer service is open. I don't think this part should have failed, and my almost new quad looks like it was in Iraq with me.... both times. At least I didn't get hurt!

Thanks for any input ahead of time, and I'm sad that this is my first post!

-Colt

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
HOLY @#$%!!! Hope you and kids are OK. Good luck with Polaris on that. Never heard of it happening out of nowhere. It may have been previously damaged and just now gave out??

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That's the type of failure you might see in a recall. What is the build date on your quad?

I have never seen anything like that.

Anyone know if these struts are US or China sourced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope they help me too. I'm 2 weeks away from a cross country move. Don't have the money to be spending on this!

The build date is 07/14/2012 if I remember correctly. Saw it on the sticker in the back of the quad when lifting it. Currently is not at my house so I can't check.

Kids are good!

I'm sure it didn't happen at that moment, but really don't get how such a robust part could fail when it is not that old.

Thanks for all the replies. I will report back with whatever happens.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Glad you and others weren't injured... I failed to say that in my original post.

I would be pretty upset with this kind of failure. It is like piece was made out of pot metal.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Virtually all small parts and possibly this one is made from powdered metal. Compressed and then baked to strengthen. I do scales for these plants and was blown away at what i thought had always been machined or forged!

Sent from West 'by-God' Virginia!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
That's terrible. Never seen something like this and these struts have been around since the 90's. please keep us informed with what Polaris says.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Kinda shitty to say, but who knows if the previous owner was jumping it or anything. When people jump heavy ass quads like this, those cast parts might crack, then totally fall apart all of a sudden.

Did anything else break because of the crash?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I have never seen or heard of this happening before, glad your ok...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the Polaris 800 number and gave them my info. The woman said something about a bulletin being posted about that year quad. She gave me a case number and said to bring it to the local dealer. Hopefully, they can help me out.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Good to hear you & kids are okay. Hopefully they can get it addressed/covered (free) for you and before your move..... it's suck to go back for a quad!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hopefully if a manufacturing issue they will let everybody know.
I that maybe it may have taken a hard blow and maybe had a crack that finally gave way. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone,

Went to the dealer with it today. Even though the quad is young, they seem to think they won't cover it under warranty, but they took pictures and are going to submit it and see what they say. Hopefully it works out, but either way it is going to suck.

If they don't repair it, I pay out of pocket. This hurts my bank account, and I'm moving to Texas on Labor Day.

If they do fix it, it will take a month, and I'm moving to Texas on Labor Day. This means finding a family/friend to pick it up for me, AND storing it someplace safe. Then driving back to CT, to tow it back to TX, or pay someone to drive it down.

It is, what it is. :/

Thank you everyone for your input!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgive me for being a newbie, but what is this part even called? I looked on the Polaris website, and only came up with the entire hub/strut assembly. Just want to start looking/pricing parts I will need to replace if I can't get it done by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That's the type of failure you might see in a recall. What is the build date on your quad?

This doesn't really pertain to this post, but when I got my Polaris, I bought the Polaris rear bumper, and it was made in china. I installed it with the supplied self taping bolts on a Friday, and by sunday morning three of the four bolts had snapped completely in two, without the atv even being moved. When I looked at the bolts they were just a pot metal of some kind, so I went to the hardware and got some hardened bolts and no more problems, That stuff that comes from china is ridiculous

·
Registered
54 Posts

This doesn't really pertain to this post, but when I got my Polaris, I bought the Polaris rear bumper, and it was made in china. I installed it with the supplied self taping bolts on a Friday, and by sunday morning three of the four bolts had snapped completely in two, without the atv even being moved. When I looked at the bolts they were just a pot metal of some kind, so I went to the hardware and got some hardened bolts and no more problems, That stuff that comes from china is ridiculous
Polaris used to use grade 5 bolts for their lugs. Had a couple strip out on my Xplorer. Saw a youtube video where a guy recommended all Polaris owners to spend the $5, and the 1 hour, to replace all of the grade 5 lugs with grade 8 lugs.

I noticed, helping my cousin change tires on his 2013 Sportsman, that Polaris now used grade 8 lugs. I believe a company like Polaris will eventually do the right thing to fix a common problem. If this OP problem becomes common, Polaris will correct it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts