Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:worried:I have a 2012 500 ho. I just put a plow on it and was plowing about 2" of snow in low gear, awd. I heard the fan come on, which I thought a little strange, temp around 30, not heavy use, but didn't get worried until my pod went black, no display of any kind. I shut the machine off and turned the key back to acc and let the fan run, after about 30 sec the display came back on. I let the machine sit about 20 mins while I did the other shoveling. When I came back the machine was fine, but the fan did come back on after only about 3 - 5 min of use. I have a 200 foot driveway that is paved. Checked oil and coolant levels- all ok. I even stuck my finger in the coolant jug and it felt warm, not hot. Is this a problem or is it ok? :worried:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The only problem it sounds to me is with the LCD display as long as the speedo still worked. Sounds like the cooling system is working fine. When using low, the RPM of the motor vs the air flow thru the radiator is why the fan kicks on even in cold temps. Seems like the plow would even increase the lack of air flow thru the radiator. As for letting the fan run with the motor off all you are doing is cooling the fluid in the radiator not the motor. I would call the dealer & let them know about the LCD display or take the wheeler to them & have it checked out while its still under warranty.

I don't have to plow snow here but even with the plow down & going forward seems like the air flow would be forced up with most of it going up & over rather than thru the radiator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts