Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,
I've got my '12 Sportsman 500HO in the garage with a Rt Rear cv boot that needs replaced. Got everything ready to do the replacement, but can't get the CV bearing off the axle. Can't find a clip, or anything that is holding the axle to the bearing. How do I get the bearing off? Can anyone help? Watched a lot of videos, but they all were mentioning some sort of retaining clip I had to remove.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
W

·
13,425 Posts
Some joints have a snap ring holding them on that must be spread with snap ring pliers to release the joint...YOURS DOES NOT!!
Yours has simple circle rings that snap into and out of a groove on the shaft by tapping the joint off to remove and then tapping back on to re-install. Here is a video that shows you how and the guy uses a brass tool but a carefully used hammer and punch or piece of wood will do it.

Here's a video that shows up close how to deal with the polaris style boot clamps using regular pliers and also shows the other style snap ring that you DO NOT have just FYI.

God luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I guess I'm not hitting the joint hard enough. Don't want to break anything. Got new clips, so I basically destroyed the old ones. The old clips didn't look like the ones in the video. Very odd.
Thanks again for your quick response.
W

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.