Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a 2012 sportsman 850xp with eps for cheap with 2550 miles, but it needs a gear shift linkage, brake line and he said the throttles sticking. the asking price is a good $1000-$1500 cheaper then other 850's but does this sound like a good buy or a head ache? should i go for it or walk away? here it is: 2012 Polaris sportsman 850 - Manitoba ATV For Sale - Kijiji Manitoba Canada.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Since all these parts are working on most older ATV's I would expect other issues not noted or known on a atv this new. In short keep looking unless you know these ATV inside out. At best they can suck up cash fro parts.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm always leery of people selling quads with broken things because as mentioned, it just makes wonder what else is on the way out?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would run, many would typically undersell the problems and if this thing already has three things wrong with it you can bet there are more. I don't see a price anywhere but I would have to imagine they are asking $4 or 5k which I would not spend on something I couldn't test drive. I bought my 2010 with a plow, winch and 14" bighorns for $5200 and only 300 miles and everthing worked. I would flat not buy anything that I couldn't test drive in some form or fashion unless it was dirt cheap and I knew exactly what was wrong with it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sounds to good to be true, and you know what they say about that

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Think I would take a pass on that and walk away. I would have a hard time buying any used atv, much less one that already has several mechanical issues. Sounds like it is a very used machine.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You do not need the shift linkage to put it in gear and test drive it. You should be able to do it by just removing the seat and shifting it into gear at the trans.

Both the linkage and brake line are easy fixes. However it does sound to good to be true. If he wont let you start it because of the throttle, or test drive it because of the linkage or brake line, sounds like he is hiding something.

Just the fact that he will not spend the hundred bucks in parts to make it right and sell it for it's actual value, raises a huge red flag for me!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you think its even worth looking at if i can test drive it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it does kinda sound to good to be true though, you guys are probably right

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
do you think its even worth looking at if i can test drive it?
I would take a look at it. Make sure it will start and run. Try to get it in gear and test ride it. Don't take the cash with you. See what it actually needs then see what the parts and time will cost to fix it. sleep on it overnight and then make your decision.

I have always tried to stay away form buying used in the ATV world. That is unless you personally know the owner and riding habits. People do not buy these things to just ride to church on Sundays.

Ask him to show you the maintenance records. If he can't provide them, it probably has not been maintained.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People do not buy these things to just ride to church on Sundays.

.[/QUOTE] amen to that lol jk, i get what your saying, its different then buying an old truck that grandpa joe putted around in

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just the fact that he will not spend the hundred bucks in parts to make it right and sell it for it's actual value, raises a huge red flag for me!
This here is what I was going to say, rings the most true for me.
People who care about rigs, selling a good product and not screwing people will fix things up before selling them.
People who care about the resale value will fix things up before selling them.

People who care about the resale value but are lazy and don't care if they screw someone will post an ad saying "just needs x" instead of fixing x and selling for more money. This is probably because there is more wrong and they know it, and test driving may reveal it.

It's always worth a little more to find the rig that someone loved and took care of, or just made sure that when they beat it to the point of breaking, they fixed the broken stuff before moving on.

There is one exception to this pattern: people with money to burn who would rather sell something and buy the latest model than put the time into it. But you can usually spot these people - it's usually pretty obvious.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the input, i think its a big no, no in my books as well, i guess i'll keep looking

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
How much are you planning on spending?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i don't have a whole lot i'm looking for a good used machined around $4000-$5000

·
Registered
554 Posts
What's he asking for it? Shoot, if it was around here I'd go look at it in a heartbeat. Many people just don't want to bother with fixing problems and just want to get rid of something. They don't have the knowledge, money, inclination, or time to get the problem fixed. If it was me I'd check out the engine to make sure there was no water in it and it's not making any strange noises. I'd make sure the transmission and differentials were working correctly, etc. If the major mechanicals are in good shape, the frame is straight, all the parts are there, and it's a good price, I'd buy it in a minute. I can fix all the small stuff.

I have a Honda Rancher I picked up for a great price because it wouldn't go in reverse and the rear brakes were dragging. Got it home and plugged in the reverse lock out, cleaned and lubed the brakes, rebuilt the carb, and now it's the nicest riding 4-wheeler you could imagine.

Of course I also looked at a Yamaha Grizzly that I passed on. Good price, but the engine was a little noisy. No oil on the dipstick and it took at least a quart to bring it to full. Major red flag.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
4-5 k??? Then forget about a big bore.

Go buy a new 400ho or 570.

Any big bore under 7k in manitoba is a complete pile of shit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts