Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again. Had this issue a few weeks back. Replaced bad plugs, changed aged battery, put new voltage rectifier as I was getting 18 volts at battery when idling. It's plugged on a Noco 2amp tender when parked in the shed, it's -20c here today. Took it for a spin 2 nights ago. Didn't fire up like it usually does and had a hard time getting my idling rpm above 1190 without it jumping up like crazy. Now today won't even start. I rolled it in the heated garage to try it again later. Any ideas. That rpm thing is bugging me

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel stabiliser should help right I try to always run mid grade gas in it

·
14,091 Posts
Drain and flush the tank and fill with non-alcohol real gas. Forget the stabilizer unless the machine will sit unused for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
If you use uncontaminated gasoline, stabilizer is unneeded unless it is going to sit a year or longer and even with stabilizer the fuel should be drained and fresh put in. I just drain my fuel system when I park the vehicle as I don't know if my next ride will be next week or next year.

BTW, pure ethanol freezes at 170 degrees below zero F. - if your fuel tank is 1 gallon capacity and has about teaspoon of water in it (1.66 ounces of water) and you add 2 ounces of ethanol, you will lower the freezing point of the teaspoon of water to about -40 degrees F.

Gasoline that contains 10% Ethanol is 12.8 ounces of alcohol mixed with 128 ounces of gasoline which yields 140.8 ounces of liquid. In a 1 gallon tank that is filled with gas-o-hol, there is 115.2 ounces of gas and 12.8 ounces of alcohol. 12.8oz of ethanol mixed with a teaspoon of water lowers the freezing point of the water to appx. 80 degrees F below zero.

Another thing; it only takes .4% of water to alcohol to make the ethanol in fuel separate from the gasoline. A teaspoon of water in 12.8 ounces (10%) of alcohol is only .2% of water to alcohol by volume, so not only a teaspoon of water mix with the alcohol in the gasoline, it will not cause phase separation in a gallon of fuel and it will not freeze at -70*F.

Myth dispelled!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you use uncontaminated gasoline, stabilizer is unneeded unless it is going to sit a year or longer and even with stabilizer the fuel should be drained and fresh put in. I just drain my fuel system when I park the vehicle as I don't know if my next ride will be next week or next year.

BTW, pure ethanol freezes at 170 degrees below zero F. - if your fuel tank is 1 gallon capacity and has about teaspoon of water in it (1.66 ounces of water) and you add 2 ounces of ethanol, you will lower the freezing point of the teaspoon of water to about -40 degrees F.

Gasoline that contains 10% Ethanol is 12.8 ounces of alcohol mixed with 128 ounces of gasoline which yields 140.8 ounces of liquid. In a 1 gallon tank that is filled with gas-o-hol, there is 115.2 ounces of gas and 12.8 ounces of alcohol. 12.8oz of ethanol mixed with a teaspoon of water lowers the freezing point of the water to appx. 80 degrees F below zero.

Another thing; it only takes .4% of water to alcohol to make the ethanol in fuel separate from the gasoline. A teaspoon of water in 12.8 ounces (10%) of alcohol is only .2% of water to alcohol by volume, so not only a teaspoon of water mix with the alcohol in the gasoline, it will not cause phase separation in a gallon of fuel and it will not freeze at -70*F.

Myth dispelled!

Wow thanks for that breakdown. Much appreciated. After a but more head scratching and scrolling through the service manual I took the throttle cover off and checked my spacing ( I had screwed around with the adjustment screw to get it to idle at 1220). I guess I took it too far . Once I readjusted it's fired right up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts