Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a like new 2012 850 with EPS with only 210 miles on it and a lot of aftermarket accesories. They include:

3" lift kit with 2.5" rake ext
Rhino heavy duty axles
Aftermarket front & rear bumpers
Chrome Looney Tuned exhaust (slip on system)
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH AIR INTAKE KIT
K&N air filter kit
14" Chrome wheels with 30" Dominator tires

I guess this thing is spotless but price is a little steep. I know a new stock one is 10k,

Opinions? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Too modded for me. It was built for mud and water, which means it likely has seen deep water and mud. If they could provide proof that it hasn't been used as a submarine and buried in mud, and you are into lifted bikes, the price is probably pretty fair. Remember, anyone can polish a turd to where you might not be able to see that it is still a turd under the shine.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I agree with Bobx2....with them type mods he was not riding trails ..could be a money pit down the road

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are looking for a lifted quad, check inside airbox, inside clutch cover, bushings, bearings, ect. Last, open the light pod, check for mud residue. If all checks out, and it drives and rides good, not a bad price.
He might have wanted the tough look, but not been into subbing it, or it may have been. Just research it, and good luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you want a lifted bike set up for mud ridding that seems decent. If all you are after is trail riding probably no the bike for you. I agree see if there is any mud/water residue in the air box or other areas. He may have just wanted the "tuff" look but not have been a serious mudder, dominators aren't that aggressive compared to all out mud tires.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess with the low miles and overall (pictured) condition I didn't expect it to have been ran through mud and underwater. I assumed since he had nice wheels and tires and the lift just makes the quad look tough and allowed tall tires and aftermarket exhaust just sounds bad azz? I will look at what you guys mentioned and be careful. Is there anything to look out for with the mods he did? Does the lift make it more tippy at all? Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Biggest question to me is: are you looking for a mud machine?

Nobody goes through the hassle if snorkeling a machine, particularly stealth snorkels just to get a mean look.

You also need to feel out the seller. Lots of guys mud with these machines and maintain them better than the trail guys do bec that's the only way to get a mud machine to last. Then there are guys who beat on them and then sell them all shined up to unsuspecting buyers.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its hard to know why all the mods, the seller also has a new RZR 1000 and ranger 900 that are both tricked out nice with aftermarket stuff, selling the Sportsman because all he seems to use is the RZR now when riding. I got the impression he just wanted it to look badd and he has a hookup at a dealer for all the accs. I dont plan on doing any real mudding or water hole stuff but I do trail ride and do a lot around the farm and also use for light plowing in the winter. I like the high profile and lifted look but not necessary- only for apprearence for my application. He has all the original factory equipment to go with it as well.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I don't think it sounds like a bad deal, the one thing you will need right away is a clutch kit, BUT I will agree with everyone else, this is not set up for a trail machine. so if you are going to trail ride mostly I would look for something else. This one will run nice in the snow and mud though.. So if you are in love with the looks and want a bad arse machine that some one else paid for all the mods this is not a bad deal, I would low ball him and start at $7k and see what he pops back at (which will most likely be his bottom dollar) Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies guys! I'm hearing a lot of comments about this not being a "trail machine"? With these mods what are the negative affects that make it now seem like a MUD ONLY kind of quad? Is the lift make it tippy or is there another reason the mods negativly affect trail riding??

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
thanks for the replies guys! I'm hearing a lot of comments about this not being a "trail machine"? With these mods what are the negative affects that make it now seem like a MUD ONLY kind of quad? Is the lift make it tippy or is there another reason the mods negativly affect trail riding??
Correct, the lift raises the center of gravity making it a much tippier machine. Get into a technical / rocky trail and get ready to roll it!

The lift also increases the cv angles which is hard on them, causing them to wear faster..... granted it has better/stronger axles, still not good for miles of trail riding.

With anything much over an inch diameter bigger than a stock tire, a clutch kit is recommended. As the heavier tires and rims are harder on the belt and clutch system..... and will make the bike a dawg.

To me I'd pass.... 210 miles may not seem like much, but as "mud/water modded" as it is and if it's 200+ miles of pretending to be a submarine (which they are not)..... sounds like someone may be "getting out, while the gettin's good".

But it may not be either...... some poeple just like the lifted bike look and feel. Kinda like trucks, I've had and always liked the lifted "*******" style.... but never had one to far off the tar. More of a asphalt queen. Best way to find out is to go look..... see how his place looks. If he has nice / neat garage he likely takes care of his things!

As for price, I'd have to agree 100% with Lolly.... offer $7000-7200 and be willing to pay whatever he comes back at. Which I would guess he'd take $8000-8200.

Good Luck with the search!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm looking at a like new 2012 850 with EPS with only 210 miles on it and a lot of aftermarket accesories. They include:

3" lift kit with 2.5" rake ext
Rhino heavy duty axles
Aftermarket front & rear bumpers
Chrome Looney Tuned exhaust (slip on system)
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH AIR INTAKE KIT
K&N air filter kit
14" Chrome wheels with 30" Dominator tires

I guess this thing is spotless but price is a little steep. I know a new stock one is 10k,

Opinions? Thanks in advance
New one is not 10k. I bought mine new for 8200 out the door.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Also, it's the one on eBay. He wants $9200. These things have enough problems being bone stock. I would run away from it, I mean you know damn well it's been buried in 4' of water.

·
Registered
301 Posts
And his eBay user name has the word "deep" in it. Haha good luck with that one

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree with most of the others...I would pass on it, to much of a risk of getting something that has been abused!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
theres a 13 with like 200 something miles on it on craigslist for 7000. I would look around more. lifted bikes with 30 inch tires aren't any good for trail riding.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The lift will make it more tippy and with most aftermarket wheels the offset is wider so it will probably be 52-54 inches wide.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts