Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am brand new to this site and hoping I could get some assistance or advice on a problem.

I have a broken dipstick on 2012 850 XP. I noticed some spots on the floorboard at our 1st stop of the day, only to find out it was some oil specks. I went to check & tighten the dipstick, then it fell off into my hand. The machine was running at the time, but I quickly shut it down. I would guess it was just running a few seconds from the time it landed into my hand to the time I shut it off. I checked the oil just before I left the house so I know it was okay at that time. I'm positive I tighten the dipstick properly. I confirmed it was not cross threaded, which it would be pretty tough as their is a guide to insert the dipstick virtually only 1 way. It broke somewhere between the cabin and the 1st stop, which is 1-2 miles.

A good 4-5 inches of the dipstick broke off. Not sure if it shot out or it's laying in the bottom of the crank case. My luck it's wedge some place where I can't find it. I could not locate it by light. I changed the oil and filter and found absolutely no plastic shavings in either the filter or oil. I attached a hose to the shop vac and still did not suck up any shavings. Tilted the wheeler, but nothing. Lastly, used a flexible claw pick up tool and could not ind anything. I ordered a new dipstick and have not started the machine yet.

I have spoke with several dealers and found some older forums with the same issue. It sounds like the consensus is to leave it where it is as it is plastic dipstick and no damage should occurr.....I hope. I only have 500 miles on the machine.

Now, finally to my question. Has anyone seen any longer term issues due to this problem?

Sorry for the long story, but appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
ouch

One of the things , polaris should have upgraded by now/./. 2015 model with 425 miles. can't see nothing too... but it must be somewhere down there ...
knock knock POLARIS ! FIX that ugly bug ! :nerd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts