Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was loading on the trailer to get ready to head out tomorrow and noticed the 50 is not up to speed. Engine is running fine, good power, and running up to full RPM. Just it is maybe going 1/3 the speed as normal. I flipped it up on its back and pulled what I think is the CVT drain (12mm plug next to the gear case drain), and no water came out. He does take it in water a lot, and sank it pretty good last time out but was running fine when we put it away. Any idea what is happening?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the cover off. No evidence of water in there. Belt looks good. New to these CVT systems. Looks like the back pulley is a centrifugal clutch and the front pulley is the CVT. Isn't the CVT supposed to close in on the belt as the engine gains speed effectively changing the pulley size? It is not closing it at all, stays in the same spot at all RPMs.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yes the front or primary clutch should close on the belt as RPM rise and engage the driven clutch that turns the drive. If it isn't closing then there is a problem inside it. Rollers stuck or worn out, bushing binding, etc. Take both of them apart and inspect them well as there are wear parts in both that need periodic replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just pulled the front one off. The back plate (behind the rollers) was hanging up due to a a little corrosion. Cleaned that up and running good again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts