Polaris ATV Forum banner

2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 clutch

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  atvrider090 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500. My brother bought it new in 2012. About a year of having it the secondary clutch went out. Luckily it was still under warranty and he just took it to the shop and had it fixed. Since then I have bought it and it is going out again. What the hell would be causing it to go out again. Is there someway to prevent it with a upgrade or what. Replies are greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
What is happening to it. Going out is pretty vague?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It is slipping at low speeds from about 5 mph to about 20 or 25 mph it slips then just takes off. Its not got water on belt or anything.

#7 ·
Ok but if I bought your kit it would definitely help me in low end and also comes with buttons to fix my slippin issue?

#8 ·
Kits do not include buttons, but I can send them for an additional $10 each if you need them. Worn out buttons will keep the secondary from shifting out and make the belt slip. We can build you a kit for whatever you want to improve on your machine. More low end and mid range is the typical request and what the QSC kits are really built to do.

#9 ·
I do a lot of riding in hills and mud and water. I really just need more low end and mid also. It goes fast enough now. Just need some more umff behind it. And I guess I'd need buttons

#10 ·
The QSC kit is hands down the best way to go! I gained so much on this mod that i can *** it open and hold on cause it pulls so much harder now!

#12 ·
The clutch kit will help performance but will do nothing for your problem. You will still have the button secondary. What you need to do is buy a tied roller clutch from an EBS model. You can get them on ebay for around 75-150 bucks all day. You will have to buy some shims for use with NON ebs but its well worth it. You will never replace buttons again. The team roller clutches have actual rollers and will out last the rest of the clutch system easily. The shims for use with non ebs will run you about 25 bucks but well worth it. That button slider clutch is something out of the flintstone car and I cant believe its still used in 2014.

#13 ·
So its the whole secondary clutch assembly from ebs model. Does it need to be a 500 sportsman or does it matter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.