Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO and i am having a hard time getting it started. It turns and i have spark and fuel but no run. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well actually i have never done any work on them i just bought from a friend. It had been sitting in his barn for awhile. it cranks over and everything but it wont start. I checked the spark with an inline spark tester and and it would spark. I have yet to mess with the valves but that may need to be my next step.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
If it has been setting over 30 days, start with fresh fuel and possibly a carb cleaning - if it will start and run without removing the carb and cleaning it, then add PJ1 fuel system/fuel injector cleaner to the fuel and run it - the PJ1 will clean minor build up from the inside of the carb while it runs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy had just recently changed the carb on it to a new one he had ordered a few weeks ago. My buddy just got frustrated and sold it to me so i kinda picked up where he left off. I am curious about the valves though.
Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I adjusted the valves. They were only a little out of spec and i replaced the carb with a new one. Still nothing im starting to wonder if the spark is weak or something. Thanks guys for all the help.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What carb are you replacing with? If they are aftermarket carbs this may be the cause. A lot of peeps find themselves going back to oem carbs if they went aftermarket to begin with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is an after market carb but even so it should run right? Backfire or something at least or do i hope for to much? Lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It is an after market carb but even so it should run right? Backfire or something at least or do i hope for to much? Lol
Never know.
Fuel, spark, compression =‘s engine run.
Pull the plug and see if they are wet. If wet you got fuel, if you got spark and fuel, compression is next. If you have compression, it’s the valves.
If you haven’t done so already, I’d drain all fuel and replace with new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea compression is next thanks for the help i hope none of my previous comments come across as arrogant i am just a bit frustrated with this bike. Thanks again guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts