Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Time Post:

I have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 and am looking to upgrade my tires to get better grip and also to make my ATV look better. I believe the current (stock) tire size is 25x8-12 on the front and 25x11-12 on the rear. I am going to put the new tires on the stock wheels.

I am considering the Maxxis Zillas (MU01 and MU02) for the front and rear. A buddy of mine has them and likes them. They are not too aggressive so that the ride is too terribly rough, they look good, and are relatively lightweight so they will not overstress the drivetrain. These tires also seem to be reasonably priced.

What tire sizes I can go with that will not rub or cause problems? I was considering going with 26x9-12 on the front and 26x12-12 on the rear. Does anone have any advice, suggestions, information on this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

·
Registered
729 Posts
The 26x9x12 will probably rub unless you buy 4+3 offset wheels. The rears will be fine. I went with 12x7 wheels all the way around with the 4+3 offset.
I stayed with the stock size Sedona Ripsaw R/T 6ply radial as the replacement tire and luv-em, awesome tire.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great - thanks for the quick replies! Do you think I could do 26x8-12 or 25x9-12 on the front without rubbing? Basically going up in either width or diameter, would those rub?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You could fit up to a 28" tall tire but if you go wider than 8" without either a spacer or offset rims the front will hit the tie rod.
x2, exactly what he said.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also have the 2012 Sportsman 500 and am getting new rims with 4+3 offset. If I go with the 26 Bear Claw tires 9 on front and 11 on rear will I have any issues with clutch? Heard some talking about need for clutch upgrade with larger tires. If that is the case I might just stay with the 25" Bear Claws?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have the 2012 Sportsman 500 and am getting new rims with 4+3 offset. If I go with the 26 Bear Claw tires 9 on front and 11 on rear will I have any issues with clutch? Heard some talking about need for clutch upgrade with larger tires. If that is the case I might just stay with the 25" Bear Claws?
You don't need to upgrade the clutch with that size unless you just want more power for whatever it is you do. But you'll be fine I believe

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did Polaris ever fix the wet belt slipping issue it one had way back in 90s? I had a 94 and when I went through a body of deeper water I ended up with a belt slipping for a while til it dried out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Heres my 500 with sti h3 wheels and 28 9 14 zillas on all fours I feel no need to clutch it. It drives the same as stock I love it!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought these from Rocky Mountain ATV with the bear claws and love them. I kept them the stock size for the 400 because I didn't want to drag the motor down in power. This is my wife's ride but I did the same thing to my 400 too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
About to get a wheel upgrade

This is what happens when I don't do it just the way I originally wanted to, but soon New wheels and new tires will be just right for me. My original wheels and tire will give way to ITP aluminum wheels and 26" Bear Claw tires. Can hardly wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Cagecam I like your set up. My wife has a little problem with her back and such a setup would be right up her alley. How did you get the backrest setup? I've seen the trunk somewhere before. She liked one that had dividers but I can't find that one anywhere. If you can send me some info on where I might get the backrest and trunk i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Both the box and the back rest are Polaris parts. In the back rest I just flipped the bracket to stick out like that and put a block of wood between the box. It works great on both of our quads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts