Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 550XP and need to add a front and rear bumper/brushguard .What would be some good recomedations for this and what website is the cheapest.Also its a bit slow off the line..what are some basic mods i could consider to get the front tires up..thanks for your time..

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It's an 800 lbs utility bike It's not "meant" to get the front tires up. a clutch kit may help, are they stock tires?

I make all my own bumpers and metal accessories so I'm no help there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Monroe powersports has bumpers in stock for like 100 bucks a piece. There located in Monroe Wisconsin

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You have OEM bumpers available at the dealer, Moose makes a nice set-which is what I run on my 850, and ATV Guru makes a really stout set but will take several weeks to get them from what I've heard. From pricing I've seen, the OEM ones are the cheapest on all accounts. The moose is next in price and strength and protection, and guru is the best and most expensive.

As far as getting the front end in the air, stock should do it in low without to much issue. If you want to do it in high and easier all around then a clutch kit is what you need. I can help you there with a QSC kit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You have OEM bumpers available at the dealer, Moose makes a nice set-which is what I run on my 850, and ATV Guru makes a really stout set but will take several weeks to get them from what I've heard. From pricing I've seen, the OEM ones are the cheapest on all accounts. The moose is next in price and strength and protection, and guru is the best and most expensive.

As far as getting the front end in the air, stock should do it in low without to much issue. If you want to do it in high and easier all around then a clutch kit is what you need. I can help you there with a QSC kit.
My 2013 550xp won't even come close to getting the front tires in the air. Then again, if that was my goal then I would have bought a sport model. Wait... my 400ex will do it easily.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

My 2013 550xp won't even come close to getting the front tires in the air. Then again, if that was my goal then I would have bought a sport model. Wait... my 400ex will do it easily.
I can fix that! :cowboy:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just bought a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 550XP and need to add a front and rear bumper/brushguard .What would be some good recomedations for this...
Couple things to think about with bumpers...

(1) if you're not going to get into anything more the tall grass, the lightweight cheapo's will work just fine. But if you're concerned with the occasional tap of things more substantial, spring for a good, strong bumper. Some even offer mesh-like grill covers.

And if you ride at night, some of the grill covers tend to reflect the headlights back into the driver's eyes. Just something to think about.

(2) look for the spacing between the bumper and body parts. Some bumpers have large gaps that tend to catch small trees and such. Because the bumper is usually stronger, the plastic parts are likely to be damaged long before the bumper.

FWIW, I went with the Guru bumper. Yes, they are not "cheap" and they do take some time to get as they are hand made.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts