Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new 800 EFI. Just a few questions because I looked and didn't see other people having them. Checked all fluids, everything good except coolant in reservoir was about at the add line. Have put 10 hours and 65 miles on it so far. All of riding being pretty soft (never past half throttle).

First issue, coolant. It seems to be loosing a very small amount, like maybe an ounce total. Is this possibly due to break in or air in the system getting flushed out? I checked for visible leaks or spots, nothing. Oil is good and coolant is clean. It was over 90 degrees the first few hours of riding. Any ideas? I'm thinking I may need a pressure test just to confirm it isn't an internal leak or heat/pressure induced leak that isn't leaving any visible residue.

Second issue, and this may just be me not having used a belt drive, I had it in low range and moved a trailer (well under weight limit) about ten feet. Shifted to N, parked the trailer, got back on shifted to H and it made an loud slapping sound on engagement. Worked fine and didn't do it again, will probably pull the cover off the PVT to see if everything is in working order... but is that normal?

·
8,882 Posts
The lower mark on the reservoir is the cold level not an add mark...that is where it is supposed to be. If it got under that it probably just had a little air in the system. As for the belt, a one time slap from a new belt and clutches after a pull is probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have the same atv also get the slapping sound only in high at very light throttle had at the dealer and they told me it was the clutch and nothing to worry about they had another 800 at the dealer took that one for a test ride did the same thing i guess only time will tell good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome and the replies, I'll post on this one and the maintenance after the break in service. Maybe slap wasn't a good way to describe the sound. Best way I could describe it is a loud slap/clunk as if something wasn't line up right and caught very quickly when I pressed the throttle. Best description I can give (without the given lurch) is engaging a PTO on a tractor with a heavy piece of equipment.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Is it the belt or the prop shaft?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know?

It only did it once and it came from the PVT housing, I could feel it on my leg. I don't know, only did it once. Everything appears to be in normal. On the coolant thing, still haven't ridden it enough since to say much but it seems to eerily hover at full cold line regardless. I'll put another ten soft hours on it this weekend and have a better idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you in high or low??? If your in high try and notice what RPM your at. I think if your RPM is too low for the ground speed you can get some weird sounds in which case switching to low which puts you in a Higher RPM at slower speeds might be a help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in low, just moving a trailer (not hauling or doing work). Put in N, unhooked trailer, switched to H, engaged throttle a bit, CLUNK... stopped re-engaged throttle.. smooth take off no other noise. Seems to be running/shifting fine. Wrote it up as an anomaly. Still kind of confused on the coolant issue though... I'll report on that after putting 10 more soft hours on it.

Just a secondary note, I love ATV's love riding, love fast... but I'm just past the point of "what if I". That said, once fully broken in and I'm sure there are no problems I'll find out what the stock limits are but I'll leave pushing them to people with more time than I have. That being said, the coolant thing just seems weird, so hopefully the next 10 hours will resolve that question.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You know I have a 2006 sportsman 500 HO and it also has a Clunk in high on very light throttle. It has done it since I have owned it. That's why I ask if you where in high or low. When I am moving stuff around the farm or if I'm on one of my wood trails working the bike moving rocks or firewood etc I keep it in low and it never does this. I only use high when I hit the trail and I'm keeping the RPMs up over1300-1400 and higher. I just chocked it up to a belt drive thing, as I come from the dirt bike world and was very used to chain drive two strokes. My older 2001 however does not do this at all but seems much lower geared than the newer bike. I also lost coolant on the 2006 when I first got it it drove me nuts and turned out it had a small leak at the cap to the overflow tank. It would seem from the day it was new the cap was screwed on with a slight angle and crushed that little inside plastic plug/seal in an odd angle. I got a new one and it took care of that. I get the point of " WHAT IF I" I too have this problem. I raced in the 250cc class in four states when I was younger but now I'm old and I think too much. Although last month I did do some hot dogging rolled it broke three ribs, and cracked my femor, and of coarse the wife was watching I'm such an ass. Ah what are ya gonna do??? If it's in ya it's in ya. In the old days we used to say " if you don't dump it you aint riding it right. With Atvs you don't dump em you roll em, sink em and generally get em stuck. I think I could do with out the rolling them part I don't recomend it. The best part about the ATVs is when you break yourself like I did you can still sit on them and go for a ride. I've been on three since my wipe out!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The "clunk" is sometimes the rear prop shaft engaging. Even when they are new they sometimes have some slack in them. Over time the u-joint on them loosens up and makes a clunk. Not sure if this is what you are hearing or if you know that it is comming from the clutch. Just throwing options out there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll get the 'clunk' on my 800 when going from park to either reverse or high on flat ground without rocking the machine to seat the gears. On a slight grade, no problem. I thought I've read here someone else having the same issue. RPM related I believe it was.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I get the same clunk. I took mine back to the dealer freaking out about the noise, however, he said it was normal. That's all I needed to hear.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I've experianced a slight clunk to when first engaging throttle in high gear.... if it's "normal", I'll continue as nothing happened. Besides we still have a couple months of standard warranty (3 months) to go!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts