Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody, just signed up today and this is my first post. I've been riding atv's and dirtbikes all my life, but am new to working on them. So i am sorry if the parts i name are incorrect.

I was out riding saturday and felt something funny with my steering halfway into the trip, but just brushed it off as too much mud built up on something. Well when i got home and washed my wheeler i noticed my front right axle had a lot of play and movement. I then saw the torn boot on the inner part of the CV that goes into the gear case/front diff. What I need help with is if I can rebuild the joint that goes into the gear case or should i just replace the whole axle with a Gorrilla axle to prevent a future failure.

Another question i have is if the boot sliced and the axle came out of its place halfway through my trip, would mud and water have gotten into the front gear case/front diff? I know i went through multiple mud/deep water holes throughoutthe hole trip. Any comments or help will be appreciated.

2012 Sportsman 400HO

photo2.jpg

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
You might be able to clean up cv joint, get a new boot and grease pack, but if it was mine I would contact the cv-man on ebay and buy a complete hd axle for around $130.00, no ater got into front diff thru cv-joint, unless axle came out of diff. I have found that after you get dirt into cv's evev after a thourough cleaning they will start clicking and need replaced soon,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there shouldnt be any water or mud in my front gearcase? And would you happen to know a link or name of the axles the person sells on ebay? All i have seen where from polaris or gorrilla and i like $130 better than $375

·
Registered
838 Posts
Reason being I had a 500 ho back in the day that needed new axles and when I yanked them out of the front diff no oil came out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
When you take the axles out of the front diff, no oil should come out. They fit into a splined gear that has seals all around it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
i seen some cases where older bikes that have seen lots of water the axles can rust tothether with the splines...talk about a job to remove them if this happens..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts