Polaris ATV Forum banner

2012 Sportsman 400 Onboard Camera

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RENOBADBOY 
#1 · (Edited)
Strapped my iPod to the front of the machine... forgive me for it not being a more intense video... It's still being broken in.

#2 ·
Nice little trail. I assume the stops were for gear changes??? If so, one word of advice.Use lo range for that whole trail. I only use high for areas that I know are long and flat.(1/4 mile or longer) Most of my time is in lo and I just take my time and enjoy the sites. Nice video by the way!

#3 ·
Yeah, the stops were for shifting. Thanks for the advice! I felt like I was overheating it when I'd ride in low for long periods because not much air was moving over the radiator as I revved up the engine. I'll take it slower next time in low.

Even after it's broken in you'd recommend low for that whole trail?

Another quick question: When I'm on long straits I fluctuate the RPM's between 4,000 & 4,500 every 20 seconds or so. Is that good enough of a fluctuation or should I be doing more? Seems like if I go too low I'm just stopping and accelerating the whole time.

Up to 6 hours now so hoping it's not to late if I'm doing the break in wrong...

#4 ·
Im on the other side. I would have been in High the whole trail, unless you were purposely keeping it at the slow speed to get used to the bike? Lots of theories on breakin, but I drove mine the same way I would any other time. I just made sure to not keep WOT for more then a few seconds at a time. The big thing is varying RPM. Speed is not a factor imo (unless you are running balls out WOT for a mile). I use Low when I am in tight woods and I cannot get past 15 mph or so, or if I am in deep water or mud, or need additional torque and control (going up a black rocky, rutted trail)

#5 ·
The main reason for lo gear is to spin the motor rpm's a bit higher for breakin.You fluctuation of rpm's is fine. I 'd also do a little high speed riding on breakin also. I was always taught to break it in like your gonna ride it afterwards. As far as speed goes, I ride mine at about 25-30 mph in low all the time. Helps blow the carbon out of the system. Just keep an eye on the temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.