Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
having issues with my 2012 sportsman 500 have about 18hrs on it. starts hard first thing in the morning choke no choke doesn't matter will fire after a few times then cuts out .crank it a few more times fires cuts out then repeat the same . after about 7 to 9 turn overs it will start the runs fine. let it set a few hours same thing all over again . seems worse in the morning . 90 degree weather should it be starting this hard? for the first ten or twelve hrs started just fine usually within the first two turn overs.It just seems to be getting worse any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
run 1 oz of seafoam per gallon of gas in it, may also need pilot screw set at 2.5 turns out, I have seen them completely shut from the factory and that will cause hard starting

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Yep, water would do it. How'd you get water in it?? The Air/Fuel screw is on the bottom back side of the carb. I could also have a clogged idle jet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
our fuel here has a 10% ethenol content hard to find good gas first two tanks was with premium. this tank is with 87 thats when the problem seemed to start i think, bike sat a few weeks before it got ran again forgot to turn off the fuel.im thinking there might be some fuel seperation, going to drain the tank to fing out just guessing with the temps being 90 one day and 60 degrees it might have built up some condisation in it. 4 stroke just guessing onthe water due to ethenol likes to collect water. trying to trouble shot before i get started on it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know a few people with the same atv they fire up on the first role over and perr like a kitten theres just a few years older

1 - 8 of 8 Posts