Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I have a 2012 orange madness 500 HO, took it out for 60 miles, nothing hard just trail riding, it did get muddy....my father in law sprayed it down with a pressure washer and then it sat for a week or so.

Now there is an engine HOT display right when you start it up.

- Fan blades not bent or issue there
- Coolant is fine
- Oil is fine.

The engine isn't hot as it's just been started up.

Is this a sensor issue? From what I read online it seems so, is it an easy fix?

Any solutions? Where is the heat sensor and how can I get to it?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Pressure washing is a No No

Hey... sprayed it down with a pressure washer...
Is this a sensor issue?
Bad idea to pressure wash, in general, i suppose If you're Really careful to avoid electrical (cover up first maybe), zerks (they prefer grease not water) and any seals on suspension & engine/trans parts then yeah its Safe to pressure wash even though manuals say Not to.

The sensor you're referring to is on the engine, perhaps shorted out with moisture, remove and test/replace it. Part#12 below: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2012-polaris-scrambler-500-4x4-a12ng50aa/o/m154587#sch759188

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes the manual says not to. And I did not pressure wash for a long time. But when you spend 3hrs and large quantities of water to wash a single quad and you have 3 of them to wash, you soon jump on the pressure washing band wagon. So yes I am now pro pressure washer but you must be careful.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
There is nothing wrong with pressure washing, just use common sense when doing it. Check the temp sensor like suggested above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys.

Im new to all this, father in law was using the quad, we store it at the farm and he washed it.

- is the sensor easy to find and remove on the bike?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts