Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...... im brand new to this forum, and first time trying a forum for help.. so i have a '12 sportsman 500 that i bought brand new in 2013. it only has 195 miles on it due to many time consuming job related issues that keep me away from home. well i just had the wheeler in storage for a year with no gas and no oil for about a year. i did everything you would think necessary after being in storage. at first i couldn't get it to start up without the choke being on. so i took the carb out cleaned everything, except removing the jets since this is the first time im ever getting this in depth with engine work, didnt know how easy it was to install them correctly. after i re-installed it i had a constant gas leak (easy fix of course. replaced the gasket for the float needle.) now the thing starts up great but idles at about 3000+ rpm. i try adjusting the throttle cable and that doesnt do anyting. ive tried adjusting the throttle adjustment on the carb and that hasnt done anything. the only thing that worked to bring down the idle is pulling the choke, after i do this it idles around 1150-1250 rpm. anyone have any suggestions. sorry for the long story just trying to give all the info i can. thanks for any help.

·
11,136 Posts
If you pulled the pilot needle the tiny washer, spring and o ring must be reinstalled correctly or you'll get the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion... I double checked this morning that it is installed according to my clymers manual and still had this issue. Decided to let it run for about 5-10 minutes to see if anything changed after warming up, and nothing. But now after checking that the idle no longer settles when the choke is pulled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to give an update on the situation in case another user has a similar problem. I took apart the entire carb again to double check everything was installed properly, just to find one thing that WASN'T. Obviously otherwise it would have been working like it is now. What I found was that the brass throttle plate was installed improperly. This is something that I never saw in amy of the text. But the plate is beveled on the outside edges. You need to make sure you are playing it in so that the beveled edges are flag against the carb. If not, you will notice that the throttle cam isn't going as far back as necessary causing it to stay partially open and causing it to idle high. Hope someone else find this helpful

1 - 5 of 5 Posts