Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I set off this past weekend to replace a torn rear inner CV joint on my 2012 Sportsman.

This is my first real repair job on this quad and everything started off fine...

I removed the wheel, brake, hub assembly and pulled the axle. I cut the boot off and separated the joint to clean out all the old oil. However I can not for the life of me figure out how to remove the inner race off the shaft.

The 2012 does not seem to have the same retaining ring as shown in http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/36219-rebuilding-cv-axle-photos.html

Pictures of my axle included below...

So my question is how do I get the inner race off the shaft?
I would also like to know what replacement boots everyone is using?

It doesn't look like the all balls boot I bought will fit (19-5006 All Balls Racing)

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Put the shaft in a vice and you have to beat the shit out of it. Angle the shaft in the vice to where the race is facing the ground so you can get a downward swing on it with a hammer. There is a c-clip in there that the race has to be struck hard enough to collapse that clip and push the race off the shaft. If you have a medium-hard rubber hammer that would be best, but it can be done with a regular ball peen. Don't be scared to hit that race you won't hurt it, it's heat treated and very strong metal. Usually a 1 or 2 good solid hits and it will come off.

As for boots, I highly recommend Polaris's boots for a stock axle because they are much stronger. They are that hard plastic durable compound, if you spend money on all balls boots you'll end up tearing one a lot sooner. I know Polaris's cost a few bucks more, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey fella, I did this same job a few weeks ago, and used a 3 jaw gear puller. HF has them for ten bucks and you dont have wear yourself out or 'damage your shaft with all that hammering'.

·
11,130 Posts
You need a BRASS punch or hammer to knock the spider off with. That is hardened steel and hitting it with a hardened steel hammer can cause dangerous shrapnel to fly. Axles can be replaced but eyes can't!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this same job a few weeks ago, and used a 3 jaw gear puller.
So this weekend I got some time to stop by a friends house who had a 3 jaw gear puller and a brass hammer.

I tried using the 3 gear puller and after about a minute of getting the puller setup it took about 15 seconds to slide the inner race off.

Needless to say I never made it to the brass hammer and would suggest anyone trying to do this use a gear puller.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone I really appreciate it.

I saw in some previous threads that people were looking for a picture of the axle with the inner race (star thingy) removed. See below.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts