Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i winch with my sportsman the battery warning light comes on and my needle starts flashing, one time the bike almost died on me and backfired really bad, i was wondering if my battery didn't have the proper amperage or maybe just starting to die off and if the charging system wasn't doing its job, wondering if you guys have any thought on this

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do you keep the battery on a tender while not in use? It's a great investment and will keep your battery alive for quite a bit longer, especially if you are draining it with winching, lights, heated grips, etc.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you only charge the battery by driving the four wheeler the battery will never charge enough to keep up. The charging system is very slow so when not in use a battery tender is recommended and this should help with the battery flashing problem. If you really do a lot of winching you may need to invest in better tires and do less or add an additional battery to help with the winch.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Are you winching your bike while the engine is at idle? Even when I am winching another bike out I hold my brakes, have the bike in neutral, and keep the engine revved up.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Isn't extended run time in neutral damaging to the belt?

Op.......take your battery to a shop and have it tested. Battery tender is the best investment you can make for battery life!

·
Registered
180 Posts
No damage to the belt if the tranny is in neutral

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Cool.......thanks guys!

·
Registered
51 Posts
my bike is actually dying out on me. i was stuck in some thick the other day and i was tfying to winch out buuut my winch was drawing so much the ligh flashed and killed the bike....fired her back up and then the winch wouldnt pull at full power and it kinda just pulled on the bike with some tension and then died again. is it battery or winch issues?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That is a battery issue. I know its common sense but you should also turn off headlights when winching as well. Winches draw a ton of amperage and the stock battery has a very small reserve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have sort of the same issue. Also, have a 2012 Sportsman 500 HO but with a Viper Elite 3500EX winch. I currently have about 3ft of the winch line run out and when I try to run the winch in and rev the engine the line goes in fine, but when I try to let the cable out, the ATV cuts off altogether.

Battery is relatively new. All battery connections just tightened.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have sort of the same issue. Also, have a 2012 Sportsman 500 HO but with a Viper Elite 3500EX winch. I currently have about 3ft of the winch line run out and when I try to run the winch in and rev the engine the line goes in fine, but when I try to let the cable out, the ATV cuts off altogether.

Battery is relatively new. All battery connections just tightened.

Any ideas?
Even a new battery has it's limitations. I recommend a battery tender when not in use. Winching draws lots of amperage.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've got the same issue with it dying/flashing etc...; but don't have a winch. I figured the blinking was it running bad caked with Mud & the dying a sign of a fuel filter issue.

I don't keep it on a tendor, but will start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts