Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is already covered in another thread but I looked and could not find it....

I have a Limited Edition 2012 sportsman 500 (carbed) that I purchased new from the dealer. Since day 1 the bike starts as it should, runs as it should on hard throttle, but when I come to a stop and it is idling, the idle gradually drops down from the set 1100 RPM (ish) to 800 (ish) and usually stalls. Then I have to give it throttle to get it started again.

I have had it in to 2 different dealers and both said the throttle was just out of adjustment. The second time it was at the dealer, they replaced the entire throttle cable.

Still I am having the same issue. Very frustrating as there is only 25 hours on my bike. Anyone encountered this issue before? My warranty is obviously expired. Both times it was in the shop it was under warrantly but I am hesitant to take it back to the dealer only to be hosed for diagnostic work. I feel like its probably something simple but don't know where to begin looking.

I have never mud bogged in it and it has always been stored in my garage when not in use with a battery tender hooked up during storage.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 600 twin, i would idle to low and it would be hard to start. What i did is i adjusted the idle on the carb and it fixed all the problems. Your idle when warm should be around 1250 , 1300 RPM. I will post a picture of the service manual showing the idle screw; turn clockwise to increase rpm and counterclockwise to decrease rpm, make sure the fourwheeler is warm before diong this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great I will try that soon as I get my 2 week old daughter to sleep :) Thanks for the help-I hope this works!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Report back if it works, congrats on the baby!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sportsman, I owe u a cold one! I don't know how I never thought to check the idle adjust screw.. In also surprised that both dealers didn't pick up on it either.... Just goes to show u that its good to stry with the simple fixes first.

I adjusted it and it idles perfectly at 1200 Ron once warned up now. Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad i could help, im just 14 years old so i will take a coke instead ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts