Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - just bought a new sportsman 500 yesterday. Got it home and rode it for about 15 minutes and the hot engine light came on. Let it cool off and rode it again - same thing. Took it back to the dealer this morning and they diagnosed a bad sensor and replaced it. Got it home this evening and the same thing happens, about 15 minutes of riding and it overheats.....anyone else have issues like this???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp.....since I've only had it for two days i thought id run it back to my dealer today. One of the techs jumped on and rode it around for about 15 minutes....no overheating...not to be shown up i jumped on and romped around for a good 40 minutes....absolutely perfect! Woohoo! so i brought her back home and jumped on after work. rode around for about 20 minutes and HOT HOT HOT HOT........this machine hates me.....

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Welp.....since I've only had it for two days i thought id run it back to my dealer today. One of the techs jumped on and rode it around for about 15 minutes....no overheating...not to be shown up i jumped on and romped around for a good 40 minutes....absolutely perfect! Woohoo! so i brought her back home and jumped on after work. rode around for about 20 minutes and HOT HOT HOT HOT........this machine hates me.....
Is the fan coming on? What conditions are you riding at home? That is frustrating for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup - fan comes on....at home is a little hillier than the concrete and streets at the dealers. I did everything i could to "mimic" the same driving style as at home. I don't if I should load this thing back up and take it back again tomorrow or piddle with it through the weekend.....:hmmm:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Yup - fan comes on....at home is a little hillier than the concrete and streets at the dealers. I did everything i could to "mimic" the same driving style as at home. I don't if I should load this thing back up and take it back again tomorrow or piddle with it through the weekend.....:hmmm:
Wonder if the dealer te h would stop by your place? Do they have a dyno they could run it on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im gonna call em in the morning....see if they can figure anything else out. I was reading some other threads about "burping" ....know anything about it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp.....its going back to the dealer tomorrow...my puny non-mechanical brain can't handle it....will report when fixed or pushed off a cliff...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well....i think my machine was built on a Monday morning! apparently the water pump was installed a tad crooked...fins couldn't even spin....anyway the orange beast appears to be 100% now! ran er for 7 miles tonight without a hiccup!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Well....i think my machine was built on a Monday morning! apparently the water pump was installed a tad crooked...fins couldn't even spin....anyway the orange beast appears to be 100% now! ran er for 7 miles tonight without a hiccup!
Great to hear!! How long did it take for them to figure it out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol actually that's what i did rex :)

Service department didn't work over the weekend, so they got started on er at 0800 this morning. I called them at 1100 to check in and they had repaired/replaced the water pump and was in the middle of a test drive. 1400 they called me and told me all was well :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts