Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOT Check Engine light flashes, fans not turning on but the fan motor has continuity, and it spins by hand freely. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue may be?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am new to this forum thing period. I see that you have a lot of posts, I take it you must have a good amount of knowledge about this type of stuff? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
On left side of motor by thermostat is a sensor with one wire going to it, turn key on, unplug wire, fan should come on, if not hook 12 volts dirwectly to fan to see if its working, if it works replace thermistor sensor.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks, I am new to this forum thing period. I see that you have a lot of posts, I take it you must have a good amount of knowledge about this type of stuff? Any suggestions?
Not denying Bruce's knowledge, but his post count is high because of welcoming every new member such a yourself.

As for you fan, follow Russ's advice to see if fan is working. This will rule out the fan as the culprit.

Is the engine truly hot when it flashes or is it even when the engine is cold?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
On left side of motor by thermostat is a sensor with one wire going to it, turn key on, unplug wire, fan should come on, if not hook 12 volts dirwectly to fan to see if its working, if it works replace thermistor sensor.

Excellent advice!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice! It only flashes when it actually is overheating. I believe that it is the sensor right on the radiator. Hard wired the fan, it works, checked the continuity of the radiator sensor, got nothing, made a loop where the sensor ran to the fan and the fan turned on..I am thinking about running a toggle switch to that rather then spending the $50 for a new sensor since I am strapped for cash... Any approvals or suggestions on that?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sounds like it should work.

Quadovator has been selling manual fan switches for a while without issues although I'm not certain where they wire up. The mud guys like them bec they can shut the fan off while under water and turn it back on once back on dry land.

http://quadovator.com/1618702.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried to post pictures on here of how I did it, but they didn't come up, but i have them in an album. It was a pretty simply fix. Seems to work pretty good for now!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Tried to post pictures on here of how I did it, but they didn't come up, but i have them in an album. It was a pretty simply fix. Seems to work pretty good for now!
Glad to hear it!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts