Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2012 Sportsman 500 have AWD in Reverse? If it does then how do you engage in it?
Also. MY Sprtsman keeps stalling. Should i turn up the idle?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you have to hold the yellow reverse overide button on the left side handle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you are in awd hold the mode/override button then gas do not press the override button while the throttle is open.
I have a 2012 sportsman 400 ho Im pretty sure the 500 is has the override to.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
doesn't matter when you put on the 4x4 switch, just while in reverse have it on and keep the button held in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could be a number of things bad fuel, out of fuel lol, choke is left on?,loose battery connection,clogged air filter?
By the sounds of it you havent read your manual i highly recomend you read it over a couple times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am having the same issue with stalling on my 12 500ho as well. I just posted a thread yesterday. Stalls when idling even after it's warmed up. I think I'm going to stop by the dealer and have them take a look.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with tylerdude. First check the stuff you need to check before you ride, engine oil,fresh fuel,clean air filter, clean battery connections. Read the manual and perform the checks recomended. Todays fuel is not the best thing for your small engine. Most small engine repair shope recommend use of high octain fuel for small engines. There are also additives you can use in your fuel to help keep it fresh. Read up on fuels and small engines and at the very least drain the fuel every 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brand new ATV, brand new fuel, brand new air filter, brand new everything my guess it's a carb issue. I can see if it was sitting for the winter, but others seem to be having the same issues with new 500's stalling. Also the manual says it should be idling around 1200 rpm give or take 50rpm. That's where mine is iding, but still stalls. Maybe a jetting issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@748eric,
Im going to turn up my idle.
@Toyvo,
I know all of that suff is good. Might need to adjust idle on the carb after breaking in period.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ok guys, the problem here is the idle jet is to small. Turning the idle up isn't going to solve the problem. It's stalling because of a lack of gas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok guys, the problem here is the idle jet is to small. Turning the idle up isn't going to solve the problem. It's stalling because of a lack of gas.
Bingo, I agree! Tried adjusting the idle up today and it did zippo :) I'm calling the dealer in the morning. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@748eric,
Havent they had any other people calling about this problem? Anyways, hope they get this flaw fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alright, I just got back from the dealer with my ATV. Didn't even take it off the trailer. Fix took 1 minute, no joke. He asked if I have adjusted the throttle free play. I said, no didn't think of that. He moved the rubber cover just below the throttle lever on the throttle cable and adjusted the knob a few turns. Bingo! it then idled like a champ!

I felt like a knob myself. Didn't think of checking that. He said if it's out of adjustment it will hit the safety kill switch and kill the motor. That's why it was stalling.

No bad gas, no bad idle jet. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and checked a bunch of other things. But......didn't think to check that. Live and learn :) So I used the excuse while I was at the dealer to buy some more goodies anyways.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts