Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Sportsman 500 H.O and I'm having a weird problem where when I'm riding it'll completely shut-off....

There is no sputtering or backfire it just goes dead as if you turned off the key...I have a 3500lb winch on it, which has been on the atv about a year I figured it could be the problem so I completely removed it "unsoldered and all" and I'm still having the problem.

I checked all connections to and from battery, I checked the kill switch for play, changed spark plug, checked the other wires and cables for cuts or spots that could be grounding out and can't find anything. I've also thought it could be key rattling loose in the ignition I duct taped the key in and a few days later died on me anyway.

My local dealer is backed up so I can't get them to take it for 11 days....

So in the meantime, does anybody have any ideas what the hell it could be? I'm thinking it's got to be something electrical the way it'll just go completely dead on me and it only seems to happen on bumps with sharp left or right turns.

This problem doesn't happen constantly or reliably it's more of a once every 3-5 rides it'll just shutoff, turn the key and it'll fire back up again no problems. I've went as far as putting it on jack stands and jumping around on the bike while it's under acceleration and still couldn't get it to kill or replicate the problem yet once again I went riding the next day and it died again...

P.S it's not the battery I just spent $125 for an AGM battery with more crank and amp/hour power from Oriley's which is good since I use a winch but turns out it wasn't needed since it's still having problem

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Are you using a key chain? If so get rid of it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
1- You taped the key in but is there a keychain attached to it? They frequently get caught when turning and shut off the machine.(NO KEYCHAINS)

2- 2nd most likely, your throttle cable needs adjusted, check your owners manual, there is a section on that and its a easy fix. You can only have about a 1/8" gap or it will act up like you are describing. It takes about a minute to adjust.

Should of posted before spending your hard earned money.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also check your throttle cable adjustment, I believe 1/8" at the end of the lever. Too loose will cause random stalling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for slow reply, had to run to wal-mart ended up taking wayy longer than I thought I would.

yes using keychain but took it off week ago,I tried to jiggle the key all over while machine running and couldn't get it to kill.

I also tried idle adjust, throttle cable adjust, and with or without keychain

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I could get the problem to present itself and be replicable I could figure out what was causing it. But as I said it only happens every other couple of rides like if I hit a bump or some ruts or maybe a sharp turn it'd shut off . That is what lead me to believe it was the key or a wire touching something and grounding/shorting out but nada. what doesn't make sense is I can't "make " it have the problem while checking something. it does it on it's own :-\ I can drive down a trail built like a washboard at 40mph and it's fine then the next day hit a bump just right and shuts off...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I kinda needed the battery anyway "though I should have waited to buy it". I use the winch in winter with pulling firewood away from neighbors fence while cutting it and whatnot and stock battery is pretty much only enough to run machine. The spark plug was only $6 for a bosch

1- You taped the key in but is there a keychain attached to it? They frequently get caught when turning and shut off the machine.(NO KEYCHAINS)

2- 2nd most likely, you throttle cable needs adjusted, check your owners manual, there is a section on that and its a easy fix. You can only have about a 1/8" gap or it will act up like you are describing. It takes about a minute to adjust.

Should of posted before spending your hard earned money.
Hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts