Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My niece rides a 2012 Sportsman 500 HO. This machine only has a couple hundred miles on it. I noticed one day that it when you get off the bike, the rear doesn't come back up. When we first got it, it would come right back up. I cant see both springs or shocks being shot already. It will lean real bad to one side or the other. Has anyone ever heard of the sway bar failing internally. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the rear sway bar have some type of spring inside? Could this be bad? I don't want to just throw parts at it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
do you not have adjustments on the back? the springs will sag over time but I agree this is quick. Remember that as all the pivot points get worn and a little dirty it takes more effort to push back to full upright.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome to the board :shakehands:

I don't know of any springs inside the sway bar, but like inrbigness said the suspension parts do break in and make the quad not bounce back quite as well. I believe the rears are still adjustable on the 500s so you can try to increase the preload to see if that helps. Also, check all the swaybar bushings as they tend to wear quickly on rocky terrain (although a couple hundred miles might be a record lol).

The lean you speak of is concerning though. How far is it leaning?? Any pics of it leaning??

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Like the fellas explained before me everything settles in after some seat time. Adjust the pre load on the springs and check the sway bar bushings they are rubber and get chewed up if the suspension over travels a lot. The rear sway works off a torsion bar principal, so the bar would have to break for there to be a problem. I think ur torsion bar is in working order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2014 400 does the same thing. If you lift up on the rear it will straighten out. Probably the shocks already softened up. Was going to adjust mine but no shock tool in factory kit. Tried one from my Harley shocks but bent it all to hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine has leaned to the Rh side rear also. Had dealer inspect while under warranty and said nothing was wrong. Ive checked spring pressures, all the swing arms move free w shocks removed...one would say the spring is bad but it matches the left spring rate so idk. I plan on upgrading springs soon and hope it cures it. Bothers the heck outta me.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
If u don't have the proper spanner wrench to adjust the preload on the rear springs other members have used channel locks with success.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Jack it up in the air to take the load off the springs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
also soak it with penetrating oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts