Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 sportsman 500 ho won’t fire without starting fluid which I hate to do! I’ve cleaned the carb, put a different one on, new fuel pump because it acted like it wasnt getting enough fuel, new spark plug, checked intake boots, when he died my battery was really low on it so I charged it with it not being great. I now have a new battery in it with now if anyone had a ideas I’d be so so happy! I’m at a loss

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
When is the last time the valve clearance was checked? As the valves get tight they get hard to start and the clearance needs to be increased to restore compression. If you don't know when the valves were last checked, it's time to have it done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When is the last time the valve clearance was checked? As the valves get tight they get hard to start and the clearance needs to be increased to restore compression. If you don't know when the valves were last checked, it's time to have it done.
I’m not sure but it only has 650 miles on it and really low hours

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It's over 8 years old and has mechanical lifters - get he valves checked if for no other reason to assure they have adequate clearance and then you can rule that possibility out and move onto the other possibilities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's over 8 years old and has mechanical lifters - get he valves checked if for no other reason to assure they have adequate clearance and then you can rule that possibility out and move onto the other possibilities.
Good point. I’ll pop the covers off and check them out. Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts