Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went up to Hayward riding this weekend, and my 800 was awesome only problem was that it went through fuel like there was a whole in the tank my buddy has an 850 xp and the other a outlander 800 and there machines were way better on gas then mine. this was the sportsman maiden voyage and the other two are broken in. is there anything I can do to help with gas milage and will it get better with break in. And no I don't lay on the gas, I drive pretty mild thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Idk if they still have the smaller tank, it makes it seem like your burning alot more, but yeah mines guzzles like crazy, always had to take extra gas with me, 60kms maybe would take 13L to fill, the low gas light would be blinking as well, now my 850 uses about 8L same distance, shows only 1-2 bars down. Not sure there is anything you can do to help it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
went up to Hayward riding this weekend, and my 800 was awesome only problem was that it went through fuel like there was a whole in the tank my buddy has an 850 xp and the other a outlander 800 and there machines were way better on gas then mine. this was the sportsman maiden voyage and the other two are broken in. is there anything I can do to help with gas milage and will it get better with break in. And no I don't lay on the gas, I drive pretty mild thanks.
I know you have 1 gal less then the XP. I can get about 65 miles regular trail riding on my 2012 800. Carry an extra 1.5 gal on board.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys I have a 4 gallon rotopax I carry was just wondering if there were any little things I could do such as air filter would that lean it out at all. just curious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does it have oversize tires on it. Or oem size?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mpg

MY 2013 SP800 AT 20HOURS gets 12.5 mpg going fast or slow.they say after 50h it gets better.i dont ride more than 40miles a day so im ok with it.i would guess on the rail bed at a steady speed 15 or so.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I ran mine from right full till she sputtered on a hard skeg ride lots of WFO! and I did 50miles.

They have a small tank for such a big motor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is horrible on fuel as well. Maybe 60ish miles/tank. My bro has a renegade 800 and its way better. I did a trip this summer that was a distance and when I got there I filled up and it was 9 liters. My buddy has a 700 raptor modded and he burned 6..Pack gas is the only answer unforunally

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Power is nice but there is a reason I ride single cylinder bikes. 120 miles on all of mine in the mountain trails. Though im sure you can get there alot quicker.

·
Registered
94 Posts
SO true. Kinda like my KLR650 Kawasaki.. 50+mpg and a 6.2 gallon tank. ALSO why I chose a 500 over the 850 I COULD have purchased for apx the same $$$.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine is horrible on fuel as well. Maybe 60ish miles/tank. My bro has a renegade 800 and its way better. I did a trip this summer that was a distance and when I got there I filled up and it was 9 liters. My buddy has a 700 raptor modded and he burned 6..Pack gas is the only answer unforunally
half the cylinders half the weight.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I can get about 65 miles regular trail riding on my 2012 800.
I'd have to echo this statement.... about 65-70 miles befor the fuel light kicks on. That means about 1/2 gallon left of the 4.5 gallon tank. So... 70-65 miles divided by 4 gallons = 16.5'ish miles per gallon. I too carry an extra 1 gallon gas can (or two) with me on a day ride.

As for the mileage... it doesn't seem that bad considering the size engine and technology (yester-year). My wifes 2005 Sportsman 400 (425cc) does just a little better than mine. She usually has a gallon or a little better left when I need to refill. So that would put her machine at about 21 miles per gallon. Size makes a difference both ways..... and you gotta pay to play!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
half the cylinders half the weight.
This is very true about the weight. Depending on riding I have had the light come on at 60 mile and I have gallon left...So maybe a litle better than 60 if i'm easy on it.

RAK2RAK, I have made threads on this before about fuel consumption and the fuel light etc..

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/45816-2012-sportsman-800-fuel-question.html

Cheers

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Easy riding with my 700 gets me about 75 miles riding hard its more like 60.

My answer is to carry extra fuel. ;)

CW

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
SO true. Kinda like my KLR650 Kawasaki.. 50+mpg and a 6.2 gallon tank. ALSO why I chose a 500 over the 850 I COULD have purchased for apx the same $$$.
I don't see the huge difference in mileage that everyone claims. My wife's 500 gets around 21 mpg, and my 850 is around 17 mpg. On a 75 mile ride I use 1 gallon more than her. I just can't see how that could possibly be an issue. With the larger fuel tank on the 850, we can ride the same distance on a tank of fuel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My buddy has a 12 500 and his is better than my 12 800. Not sure how much better cause I have never seen him run it almost dry. His gauge could be reading different as well. Seems as when i'm on the last 2 bars he is only down 2 from full.. It is possible that his gauge will drop faster the more he burns

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
The fuel gauges on atv's are about useless. You have to track miles and then the gallons to fill it back up for any kind of accurate numbers. Saying you use two bars and he uses four bars to go the same distance really means nothing as inaccurate as these gauges are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The fuel gauges on atv's are about useless. You have to track miles and then the gallons to fill it back up for any kind of accurate numbers. Saying you use two bars and he uses four bars to go the same this is the distance really means nothing as inaccurate as these gauges are.

Not to me too different capacity fuel tanks!! ::)

I agree 100% the gauge is a tide for your machine only. Even then needs to be proven before relied upon. About all I really watch for is the fuel light other than that I open thrill and give it a eyeball.

CW

1 - 20 of 42 Posts