Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am having a problem with my 2012 sportsman 800. It has approx 3200 miles.

First off my initial problem was squeaking when I came to a stop after I got stuck in some mud. That turned out to be bad u-joints on the prop shaft. Changed both sets and it fixed that problem. At the same time, I was getting a check engine light in AWD..Went away in 2WD. Code 25. It went away on its own. Since the u joint were changed, is when I am getting my problem. Under hard acceleration from a dead stop or when climbing a hill, I am hearing a clacking/clicking metal sound from under me as i'm driving it...Easy or normal starts you don't hear it.

I pulled the prop shaft out and drove it around and the noise is still there. I grabbed the rear CV axles and the right rear (original axle) was a little looser than the left side (left replaced 1 year ago). So I replaced the right rear CV axle with my rebuilt axle. Noise is still there.

I was due for a full service and drained the transmission oil and it was super clean with next to nothing on the magnetic drain plug and the oil looked perfect and no metal in..Verified with a magnet. New oils and noise still there.

I can rev the engine in neutral and no noise, but i still pulled the clutch cover and cleaned the primary, took apart the secondary and it was fine. Belt looks ok and has about 700 miles on it.

Checked the shifter linkage for contacting the exhaust and its good. Motor slightly moves in neutral when revved over and the motor mounts look fine. I check tightened all the bolts I can reach and nothing is loose...

It runs and drives perfect. I am at a loss..I have been researching this for a long time.

The only other thing I did was crank the rear springs up one notch the same time I changed the U joints..That shouldn't have anything to do with it!!

Any idea what could cause this noise?

Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
With that many miles I'm wondering if it's in the clutches and if they need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Secondary looked fine and rollers were good, never pulled the primary but a quick look and everything seems ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never had a chance to pull the primary yet but should have some time soon.

Any other ideas since I’ll be wrenching on it soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts