Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial problem symptom: when turning on start key you would hear a clicking sound, as you would hear when you have a weak battery charge. Insured that battery had a 12.6 v charge. Also used new 12v auto battery for troubleshooting. While engaging the start key I did see the normal start mode display on the speedometer display console.
Removed and inspected started solenoid. Insured that their was continuity between heavy battery cable and starter cable. Later in troubleshooting process replaced solenoid, didn't correct problem.
Removed flywheel cover and inspected and tested starter drive bendix: when turning on start key you will hear a on/off clicking noise, different from a weak battery clicking. Looking the starter bendix while turning on the key didn't see the bendix protrude out to engage the flywheel. Replace this bendix with new bendix and the same problem occurred.
Removed and Tested starter motor: remove the starter motor, while the power cable from starter solenoid and the ground cable attached and when turning on start key you will hear the on/off clicking noise heard when testing the starter bendix. Replaced the starter motor with new starter motor and experience the same result as before.
Tested the starter motor, starter bendix by jumping the battery power directly from the battery to the starter motor positive terminal and it turned over the crank as normal.

·
8,732 Posts
Oh yeah, you might want to check the brake switch first before going in too deep... You are squeezing the brake when you try it... right?? :grin

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I'm stumped too - the scenario is quite improbable and most like very simple -

If it's not the solenoid, it's probably the key switch.

When the switch is turned to 'START', 12v is transmitted via the white/red wire to the solenoid - the other side of the solenoid is connected to a brown (ground) wire - is the solenoid is not working, either is is not getting 12v from the switch, it has a bad ground, it is defective or the key switch is not getting 12v via the red/blk wire.

AHA! polman - I did not back trace the brown wire - I did not detect the brake switch or diode - both likely suspects preventing the solenoid from grounding

1 - 4 of 4 Posts