Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 sportsman 850 battery went completely dead after I left the dang key on. Tried charging it all I get is a click from the starter when trying to start it after charging the battery all night,everything comes on like it is suppose to when turning the key on, headlights work taillights brake lights everything but i get nothing when turning the key, took the battery off just hooked jumper cables up trying to get it to start to make sure it was for sure the battery and not something else and still all I get is the click from the starter. took wires off of starter cleaned them to make sure i have a good connection and still the same thing. took off the starter solenoid fuse and it is working fine, I don't know what else to do. will the thing start without having the batter hooked up just off of jumper cables from the battery on my truck? I would assume that it would no problem. I'm stumped maybe something simple just need someone input. any help and responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It wont start without a battery. Actually it might but you will blow all sorts of stuff after you start it so don't. Have you checked that when the solenoid clicks you have power right at the starter lug? Have you tried to get starter to turn by hooking jumper directly to starter motor bypassing the solenoid? Is it cold there? Is it possible you have some water/condensation in the starter that is frozen? That has happened to me but its way colder here. ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
hmmm sounds weird. Maybe your battery is shot from going all the way dead. I wld not try and jump it from a truck. Made that mistake on my motorcycle and messed up my battery.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guy For all the input, I will try and bypass the solenoid with the jumper cables and see if the starter will turn. It was 9 degrees here this morning lol so pretty cold. But I've had it running this winter but have not been in any deep water or anything. I'm thinking it's the battery, when I turn the key it clicks but everything goes off like there is a bad connection, I have literally cleaned all connections and reconnected them checked all fuses and it's not either of those so I'm gonna buy a new battery today and see if maybe that helps. Thanks for he input I'll let yall know what the verdict is on buying the new battery.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Thank you guy For all the input, I will try and bypass the solenoid with the jumper cables and see if the starter will turn. It was 9 degrees here this morning lol so pretty cold. But I've had it running this winter but have not been in any deep water or anything. I'm thinking it's the battery, when I turn the key it clicks but everything goes off like there is a bad connection, I have literally cleaned all connections and reconnected them checked all fuses and it's not either of those so I'm gonna buy a new battery today and see if maybe that helps. Thanks for he input I'll let yall know what the verdict is on buying the new battery.
Trade you your 9 degrees for -30c up here in Ontario...lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Get the battery tested.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys, went out yesterday with the battery unhooked put the jumper cables on the starter and nothing happened so I hooked the battery back up and thought i'll try it one time before i put the cables back on the starter and it fired right up and has been doing fine ever since, not to sure what the deal was, but everything is working again. again thanks for all the suggestions and input.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wonder if your starter isn't seizing up. You could take it out and just clean it up, force it to turn, or even re-build it with new parts. But I find it odd that such a new machine would have starter problems though.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would guess that as I stated before you likely had some condensation in the starter that froze preventing the starter from turning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 13' 850xp which is about a month old. I had the same thing happen to me the other night. Turn ignition on and lights come on headlights are bright. Turn the key to start it and everything shuts off and click, click, click. I through the charger on it and set it to "12v 50amp start" and still nothing. I turned the amps down to regular charging and waited a while and finally it started up.

The cold weather will kill batteries and not let them recharge up properly. If you were recharging over night when its cold it may not have actually charged at all. With the computers on these bikes like cars, if they cant draw a certain amount of amps from the battery to start, all you will hear is click, click, Even though you will have really bright lights.

When it did start, was it warmer than when it wouldn't?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay so I lied, kinda...

Now I'm starting to have the same issue. Fully charged battery with battery tender plugged in. All I get is a Click. I can here the solenoid on the Starter Click but that is it.

Do you think it could be just frost on the starter? I hope so...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts