Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2012 850 xp with low hrs and km. The machine is in great shape but the only issue I'm encountering is the shifter being tight while it's running.

I'm new to atvs and have done alot of reading on forums and I'm getting mixed reviews on the possible issues.

The belt is tight and sitting high on the secondary clutch. I've tried both adding and removing a couple of shims and it doesn't seem to help.

My next step is going to be blowing off and brake cleaning the primary clutch to see if there's any issues with it.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the picture you posted. That's normal for the Bell to ride that high in a secondary.

Hard shifting complaint is normally the one way bearing has seized up inside the primary clutch. Try shifting it with the engine shut off if it shifts smoothly then you just found your problem you need to replace the one-way bearing inside the primary clutch.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Hard shifting can be caused be a one-way bearing that has seen better days. But there are a few other issues that will cause the hard shif while the machine is running. High idle, mis aligned primary and secondary, and partially engaged primary and/or secondary due to either debris from a blown belt or a mechanical inside the clutches.

Reactions: Gmartino100

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Im guessing your talking about the secondary clutch shims ??is the belt spinning while engine running?? did you check out this thread?? You can skip to post #17 and go from there

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,032 Posts
1. See if you can shift easily with the machine off vs on.
2. If shifting is easy with the machine not running, pull the cover and see if the secondary is turning with the primary
3. If both are turning, check to make sure that the belt is running in the centre of the primary, there should be space between the front and rear sheaves.
4a. If belt is centred, one way is gone. Remove belt and check your one way bearing on the primary. Should only rotate freely in one direction.
4b. If belt is not centred, you have an alignment issue. Add or remove washers on the secondary bolt to adjust the secondary and correct your alignment. As a OCD item, check your one way🤪

That should get you going in the right direction.

Reactions: bp405

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking into everything it seems it isn't a problem with either of the clutches.

It is idling too high, and not consistently. On startup it is generally idling around 1800 but will intermittently go up to 2000ish.

After driving it on some trails this week it will sometimes run fine at 1250 and then periodically when I restart it it will jump up again.

I pulled out the iac and cleaned it, but it wasn't really dirty.

Next step might be the tps?

Thanks

·
13,201 Posts
Check the easy stuff first before digging too deep...

How much free play in the throttle lever?
Got any air leaks in the intake? If intermittent... loose bolts on the plenum?

You can find air leaks with a squirt of starting fluid around the connections while the machine is running if you do it VERY CAREFULLY lol.
If idle speeds up you've got a leak.

·
Registered
2012 sportsman forest - 2005 phoenix
20 Posts
Hi Bkchev (and you all guys!)
I will be very pleased to know what you will find about your issue as I am enduring the same erratic idle since a long time, and cannot find any efficient solution to solve it!
...and the same with hard shifting...
...and also the 520 194 7 default code.....

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
216 Posts
This took a turn, I 100% agree with @polman500 to check the simple stuff.
On my 2012 someone had over tightened the throttle cable causing issues, baseline everything before you throw parts at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts