Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through a deep trail puddle last fall and ever since, the headlights, Electronic power steering and gauge cluster lights all turn off AFTER going over around 2,500-3,000 RPM.
But, my light bar and 4 small peep lights will still work and my back lights still work. Any ideas on what’s wrong with it? I’m no mechanic and I’ve called every local Polaris mechanic around and they don’t really know what it is either. I live in a rural area of alaska, so bringing it to a shop is impossible. Thanks I’d advance!

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
chk your voltage at the battery with the machine running @3,000rpm. should be between 13.5-14.5vdc. make sure your battery terminals are good and tight. chk your frame ground by the starter solenoid. you may need to go into the wire connecters as they may have water/moisture in them. this would be a very good idea to go through every connector and the plug wires and clean them and di-electric grease them!!!

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
Check the ground connections wherever the brown wire connects to the frame and check the wiring connectors with brown wires - water is an insulator and water in a connection will cause a loss of continuity - since it does it at a specific RPM, concentrate on the connections that are subject to vibration. (I know you will dispute water being an insulator, but water is comprised of hydrogen and oxygen and neither one conducts electricity, but impurities in water may conduct electricity and water can improve the conductivity of certain minerals and materials - concrete does not conduct electricity, but concrete is made of lime, calcium, nickel, iron, sodium and many other compounds - wet concrete will conduct electricity mostly due to the sodium and iron)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chk your voltage at the battery with the machine running @3,000rpm. should be between 13.5-14.5vdc. make sure your battery terminals are good and tight. chk your frame ground by the starter solenoid. you may need to go into the wire connecters as they may have water/moisture in them. this would be a very good idea to go through every connector and the plug wires and clean them and di-electric grease them!!!
Thank you so much! I’m gonna order some di-electric grease today! Hope I can get it worked out! I’ll post an update of what happens. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the ground connections wherever the brown wire connects to the frame and check the wiring connectors with brown wires - water is an insulator and water in a connection will cause a loss of continuity - since it does it at a specific RPM, concentrate on the connections that are subject to vibration. (I know you will dispute water being an insulator, but water is comprised of hydrogen and oxygen and neither one conducts electricity, but impurities in water may conduct electricity and water can improve the conductivity of certain minerals and materials - concrete does not conduct electricity, but concrete is made of lime, calcium, nickel, iron, sodium and many other compounds - wet concrete will conduct electricity mostly due to the sodium and iron)
All of that makes complete sense! Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts