Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've upgraded from my tried and true Bayou 300 4x4 to a new 2012 Sportsman 500HO and I must say I am very happy with the machine and what it cost me. However, the new Polaris is a noisy beast. I've been told it was drive line noise due to lash between all the components but I 'think' it's getting worse. I've read all the posts about axle shaft issues and such but mine makes a 'clack clack clack' or rattle noise when off the throttle rolling down rocky trails. Not under acceleration and not while rolling down smoother trails. I jacked up the rear and rolled the rear wheels back and forth one at a time to check things out and I've worked on many ATVs over the years but this thing has one sloppy rear end. I only have 450 miles on it. I'm used to solid rear axles so are all these irs polaris' like this? Do the rear silent chain or chain tensioner gives problems?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine does the same thing, been in the shop twice and they say it's ok. I have 2500+ MILES ON IT AND IT'S NO WORSE AND NO BETTER, also was told that I have bad wheel bearings in the rear and was told that when the machine had 700 miles and just off warrenty it's still has the same bearings as polaris would not back up there product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, looks like a Polaris thing. I haven't been using the quad much since my last post (sorry for the delay). I've been on it a lot lately and the noise is only there when I match the engine speed with the coasting speed every now and then when I'm trying to get the belt to grab and slow me down. I have no EBS. Once the engine idles down, the quad takes off with a whining noise. I'm used to it now but I would rather the EBS like on the other Polaris quads I have ridden. My buddies Polaris has EBS and for my kind of riding, it works better. Which brings me to my next question....Have any of you guys come accross a cost effective means of installing EBS on the Sportsman Value models? Mine is a 2012 500HO and my dealer just told me it was a little over $1300 in parts alone That's outragious! I have been reading that there are guys doing it for around $500 and $600. Any input would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts