Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Sporsman XP 850 H.O. and I was wondering if anyone knew the factory setting for the Throttle position sensor? I would imagine I need to test the voltage on my multimeter, but I don't know the correct volatge settings.

Does anyone have the factory spec or know the voltage?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a new Sporsman XP 850 H.O. and I was wondering if anyone knew the factory setting for the Throttle position sensor? I would imagine I need to test the voltage on my multimeter, but I don't know the correct volatge settings.

I know this is an older thread but I have a 2013 and am in need of these settings as well. I am getting stuck throttle malfunction codes and want to make sure the TPS is set correct. I assume the 2012 would be the same as 2013.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2012 Sportsman XP 850 TPS voltage settings

The manual says the voltage should be between .65 and .75 volts as read in the Digital wrench software.... Not much help to us do it yourselfers, but I'm going to try and find out which wires and measure with a voltmeter. This method works on my 5.0 Ford...

·
Registered
417 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I have a 2013 and am in need of these settings as well. I am getting stuck throttle malfunction codes and want to make sure the TPS is set correct. I assume the 2012 would be the same as 2013.
normally when this code is thrown its because of the throttle cable being out of adjustment or the two contacts in the thumb throttle assy being oxidized. Both are a easy 3 min fix

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Agree with MSCLDAWG above. Go for the obvious stuff first.

In any case, (from the 2013 Service manual) TPS signal voltage at idle should be between 0.65VDC and 0.75VDC. Pin 1 is Signal, Pin 2 is Ground and Pin 3 is the 5VDC Reference Voltage. As most will not have a 5vdc power supply kicking around, the TPS will have to be connected to the harness and have the key on. Carefully backprobe the connector (Pins 1 & 2) and set the TPS accordingly.

Mark

·
Registered
90 Posts
oh trust me, 5 visits to the dealer to replace everything.... on the sixth visit they replaced the tps.... what do ya know.... it's been over a thousand miles trouble free. The tps is responsible for letting the computer know where the throttle is..... bad signal, throws code. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
No problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I spoke to soon. This past weekend my machine started throwing the stuck throttle code again. 520194-7 . I was going to fix into the tps to check voltage but I didn't realize I would have to take half the machine apart to get at it. I will check it next time I get my machine to a warm garage where I can tear it apart.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
TPS Settings

What are wire colors I need to probe to get tps setting? Is the connector labeled 1 2 3? I want to check my tps setting. 2013 850xp sportsman?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can someone verify the colors when tps is connected to hiring harness? I know for a fact that a hack mechanic dealer I bought my 13 850 xp pulled wires out of tps plug and switched them around. If you can say_________ color from harness goes to__________ color on tps.

TIA, Ultra

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
oh trust me, 5 visits to the dealer to replace everything.... on the sixth visit they replaced the tps.... what do ya know.... it's been over a thousand miles trouble free. The tps is responsible for letting the computer know where the throttle is..... bad signal, throws code. thanks for the info.
Just wondering if you ever got the TPS error code fixed. 520194-7 I have a 2012 with 56 hours and 600 miles and am having the the same problem. Dealer adjusted the throttle cable & it didn't fix it, then they replaced the throttle cable and it just came back 3 hours later. very intermittent but it happens.
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem. After several visits to dealer and communication with polaris service in corporate headquarters they said they would send out new style 2014 tps to put on. It ran very good and appears fixed no more hesitation.i would ask for the new 2014 tps.. I hope this helps your problems. John

·
Registered
4 Posts
not sure, the quad has been at the shop for over 2 weeks. When I dropped off the quad at the shop, I told them about this forum and how many similar quads experienced the same mx issue and it always seemed to point to the TPS. The service manager seem to totally disregard my comment by saying, "yeah I don't read the forums, we just hook the quad up to computer and relay the information back to Polaris and they tell us what to do" I just said well there's a reason everyone is pointing to the TPS and complaining about it online. When I called on Saturday to get an update, they said they ordered a TPS (funny) and it was the wrong part so they had to ordered another TPS and it should be here on Tuesday 4/15/2014. I'm expecting a call tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
TPS location? Code?

brand new owner of a 2012 850 S.T. HO EPS:

Took it out for the first ride yesterday and 'check engine' light coming on and no throttle response during quicker type DE-aceleration (releasing throttle).
throttle also seemed a little too erratic and a bit slow to respond. As soon as the 'check engine' light turns off (just before coming to a full stop) the machine works and I can then apply throttle pressure.

two questions:

- how do I read a "code" for the malfunction of the 'check engine' light or whatever is going on.

- where is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Throttle position sensor is under the airbox mounted to the throttle body. Have you checked the contacts under the thumb throttle cover?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Throttle position sensor is under the airbox mounted to the throttle body. Have you checked the contacts under the thumb throttle cover?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Opened up the thumb throttle contacts and they looked really good...no corrosion and even a little clear, grease type substance right on the contacts.

I did end up adjusting a barrel connector about 2" down from the thumb throttle. Kind of like when you would adjust brakes or gears on a bicycle. Looks like this process basically removed a tiny bit of slack so that the gap with the contacts is less now than before. Drove it around the block and no trouble but thats not a good test. Will take it out next weekend and see what happens.

I just picked it up this week at a dealer (used) and they had a slight problem with the engine light coming on one morning and they said they adjusted this same throttle cable and the 'check engine' light went off.

Have not yet had a chance to look at the the actual TPS that you mentioned was under the air box. WIll do that next if throttle cable adjustment doesn't work out.

Thanks for your help and I'll post results.

·
Registered
84 Posts
adjusted the barrel connector on the throttle cable so that the contacts (in the thumb throttle switch) was at the widest point and it seemed to idle better. When I adjusted the barrel connector the other way (contacts were closer together) it didn't want to idle and would stall. Set it back to the widest point.

Yesterday, I took it for an awesome 45 mile single track ride, near beautiful Boise, ID :wiggle: and it seemed to run pretty good......only lost throttle response/stalled once. This trail was a 5-25 mph, smooth-dirt, single-track trail and I never really had a chance to "open-it-up" until driving from trail head back to parked truck on a wide, smooth, fire road (2 miles). Several times I would release throttle when traveling at 40-60mph and like before......the engine light came on and and no throttle response. Would then coast to an almost complete stop and the engine light would then turn off and I would have throttle again. btw, didn't seem to be a problem with slower de-accileration

I'm thinking it's time to take it to the 'stealer' so they can read codes, etc. and most likely they are going to replace the TPS?

Anyone have thoughts. ideas or opinions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts